× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

pinkbits
Aspirant

Re: How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

Has anyone got a fix for this?

I had 1/4 2tb drives fail, so I figured I'd expand the storage by a drive.

I pulled the failed drive, and inserted both of the new drives. Took approx a day to restripe. I logged in and it had allocated all 2tb of the new drive to the bloody snapshot.

Please help!
Message 26 of 37
mtakacs
Aspirant

I think i just ran into the need to resize my snapshot space:

my readynas just told me:

Snapshot on volume C was invalidated and has been removed due to reserve space being completely used.

I noticed that release notes *still* say - http://www.readynas.com/?cat=47

Snapshot resizing is disabled in the release. We will re-enable this feature in a future update.

im not clear what my options are at this point.

-tak
Message 27 of 37
AtwooTM
Aspirant

Hard to believe, but it's been two years and snapshot resizing remains disabled. Can anyone at Netgear provide guidance on what is taking so long?
Message 28 of 37
pinkbits
Aspirant

Netgear's 'fix' was for my data partition to magically dissapear, removing the requirement to figure out how to remove the snapshot space without interfering with the data partition.
Message 29 of 37
atreadwell
Aspirant

Having just purchased a Pro6, and on doing some research to decide on flexraid vs x-raid, i find this!!!

Is anybody at Netgear able to clarify the situation? It appears from reading this post, that expanding the nas size, without removing all data, is no longer possible??

isn't that the ONLY major selling point of the readyNAS and why i chose to pay more? I need to understand this before i get into building and configuring the unit in case there's something i can set in anticipation of inevitable expansion.

Has anybody discovered anything new to avoid this issue? a step by step to adding disks 'the right way' maybe?
Message 30 of 37
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

@atreadwell;
The ReadyNAS does have volume expansion, but this article is addressing the snapshot volume size.
If you run out of data space, you can add an additional disk or a larger disk for a data volume expansion. The volume that you will actively use is expandable and x-raid keeps it simple when adding disk and expanding the volume. The flex-raid will allow you to choice the raid configuration option to your liking.

The snapshot is handled differently. It takes an active snapshot of the files that you are modifying on write. It does take space on the disk and is to managed differently then the data volumes.

Where you looking to use the snapshot feature specifically?
(I personally don't use snapshot on my NAS at home, but it really depends on the application that you are wanting to use the NAS on.)
Message 31 of 37
atreadwell
Aspirant

So, if snapshots are turned off, x-raid expansion works ok. (this has been my experience to-date) But with snapshots enabled (for example, when configuring rsync for backups) the x-raid expansion no longer works because the additional space is [incorrectly] allocated to snapshot space.?
Message 32 of 37
StephenB
Guru

atreadwell wrote:
So, if snapshots are turned off, x-raid expansion works ok. (this has been my experience to-date) But with snapshots enabled (for example, when configuring rsync for backups) the x-raid expansion no longer works because the additional space is [incorrectly] allocated to snapshot space.?
Snapshots are enabled on my Pro (though I have not set up any schedule for them). This did not get in the way of xraid expansion.
Message 33 of 37
atreadwell
Aspirant

so, a year on, and i only recently enabled snapshots, finally getting around to configuring an rsync backup.....

it's only now realise the problem is with resizing the snapshot space. duh!

So.
my NAS currently has around 5TB of storage space. but only 10GB of snapshot space,
the snapshot space filled up on the second day and now it no longer creates any snapshots, which means backups based on snapshots don't happen.

by not being able to resize the snapshot space, i can't backup my nas systematically, you have to agree that this is a pretty key failing in the readynas at the moment, it's advertised as supporting snapshots but in actual fact, isn't capable (in my case) without a complete wipe and start again.

How can i work around this issue without wiping my whole NAS? 5TB seems a bit big to try and backup without snapshots, and the ability to do snapshot backups is one of the reasons i bought this NAS.

i had just been waiting for a software update to fix it, but now i'm beginning to wonder, what's going on with readynas snapshot resizing? as some other posts have asked, will this ever be fixed?

is there a workaround in the cli perhaps?
Message 34 of 37
jst3751
Aspirant

I also need to get an answer to this, as I need to resize from the default of 10 GB. I am running firmware 4.2.22 at this time. I do have a case number if that helps.
Message 35 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Regrettably I think the only way to do this is a factory reset.
Message 36 of 37
strafft
Aspirant

I have just had this email for the first time in a couple of years :-S Should I be worried?!
Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements