× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I did something ignorant

jasonnowka
Aspirant

I did something ignorant

I bought the ready NAS knowing absolutely nothing about it, except for the obvious that it was a network storage device. well I installed a hard drive on it that already had important data thinking it would show up, not knowing that syncing up meant it would write over the data? or change the drive, where I can not extract files? I am sure I am not the only dummy that has done this. Could someone with more ability than I, please tell me how to get the files off this drive? I bought a drive cloner, that can be used to dock drives as well. I have got the last two years worth of recording bands and tracks on this drive...
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: I did something ignorant

The NAS is designed to reformat/wipe disk drives that are inserted into it. What you need is either a software package that focuses on data recovery (not the same as simply reading the data), or a data recovery service that would recover data for a fee.

Usually in this scenario you don't end up with all the data back. It can be difficult to get any of it back.
Message 2 of 4
ihartley
Tutor

testdisk is usually quite good at recovering partitions/files. Assuming that the ReadyNas has overwritten the MBR, etc. (if Windows) it might still be possible to recover it since there is a backup in the middle of the disk (IIRC, a long time ago). I have used testdisk in the past to recover partitions. If ReadyNAS tests the disk by writing zeros, then it's time to check your backups. You do have backups???

Of course whatever partition ReadyNas created for it's OS will be gone. If it was a Windows system disk you may be lucky and find only Windows system files corrupt for the most part, but better to assume you have lost at least some data.

If you can say how the disk was formatted it might help. Personally I would pull it from the NAS immediately, since the NAS will only be overwriting (if anything), not recovering.
Message 3 of 4
jasonnowka
Aspirant

well the moment it synced and I saw my data was gone, I pulled the disc... and yes it is windows 7 64 bit format. It was just a backup drive itself. oh and yes lol like i said my ignorance the NAS is my backup... I will try testdisk and pray I can get some data off the drive...
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements