× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Incorrect storage usage display

gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

Incorrect storage usage display

I have this bogus usage number for my currently empty Backup folder on the NAS.  Unless my disks have suddenly become infinite capacity, I really doubt I'm using 16,777,216 terabytes of storage for an empty folder!  My question is how to I reset this, none of the other folders have faulty indications

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Incorrect storage usage display

The error I am seeing is

Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: Snapper delete-config
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: loading 214 failed
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: delete subvolume failed, ioctl(BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_DESTROY) failed, errno:39 (Directory not empty)
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: THROW: deleting btrfs snapshot failed
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: THROW: deleting snapshot failed
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: CAUGHT: deleting snapshot failed

I'm not seeing the 214 snapshot in snapshot.log (no snapshots are listed there for the share).

There are things you could try using ssh, but given that small amount of data in the volume I think you'd be better off backing it up, doing a factory reset, and then setting up the NAS again.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If it's empty, the best thing to try first is just delete it and re-create it.  If it's not entirely empty, you can create a new folder with a different name, move the contents, delete the old folder, and re-name the new one.

Message 2 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You might first go to the volume settings tab, and see if quota is enabled.  If it is, try disabling it, and then re-enabling it.

Message 3 of 14
gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

Well, that's the first thing I tried.  It complained about Snapshots not being able to be deleted.  So, I manually deleted all the snapshots and then said never use snapshots.  The snapshot display indeed did disappear from that folder, but it still won't allow a deletion.

Mar 07, 2024 10:35:51 AM

Share: Share Backup cannot be deleted. Try it again later.

No quota set, and I rebooted the NAS to make sure it had it's mind right, no change.  I tried to set a quota, but it hangs there and doesn't respond to OK until I uncheck it again.  I left it for minutes with no change.

I really don't want to have to start over just because of this issue, hard to believe I can't remove this folder!

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@gunrunnerjohn wrote:

No quota set, and I rebooted the NAS to make sure it had it's mind right, no change.  I tried to set a quota, but it hangs there and doesn't respond to OK until I uncheck it again.  I left it for minutes with no change.

I meant the volume quota setting (navigate to the volumes page and click on the volume settings wheel).

@gunrunnerjohn wrote:

I really don't want to have to start over just because of this issue, hard to believe I can't remove this folder!

It is a sign that something might have gone quite wrong with the file system.  Do you have a backup?

Have you downloaded the log zip file from the logs page?

Message 5 of 14
gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

I did download the logs, but there are dozens of them, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@gunrunnerjohn wrote:

I did download the logs, but there are dozens of them, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

If you'd like I can take a look.  Upload the full zip into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and send me a private message (PM) with a download link. Make sure the permissions are set so anyone with link can download.  You send the PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

If you don't have a backup, it would be wise to make one.

Message 7 of 14
gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

I tried to leave a link, but apparently it's impossible with the forum software.  Even when I disguised the link, it kept complaining.  Apparently, there's no approved way to leave a ZIP file. 🙄

I just ordered some larger disks for the NAS, so I'll just knock the NAS flat and start over.  I was on the fence about this, but this helps me make up my mind.

I'm assuming I can at least save and restore my accounts, etc. after booting up and clearing the configuration.

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@gunrunnerjohn wrote:

I tried to leave a link, but apparently it's impossible with the forum software. 

You cannot attach a zip file.  But you can include a download link to dropbox, google drive, etc.

Message 9 of 14
gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

Actually, I couldn't.  That didn't work no matter what I did.  It kept saying I had HTTP in my message and that was not allowed.

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@gunrunnerjohn wrote:

Actually, I couldn't.  That didn't work no matter what I did.  It kept saying I had HTTP in my message and that was not allowed.

Odd, as I get logs this way from people all the time.

Are you just pasting the URL into your message? (That is all that needs to be done).

Message 11 of 14
gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

Yep, I uploaded it to the file transfer site We Transfer and just posted the link to the file.  For some reason, this time it has no problem with the link!

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The error I am seeing is

Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: Snapper delete-config
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: loading 214 failed
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: delete subvolume failed, ioctl(BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_DESTROY) failed, errno:39 (Directory not empty)
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: THROW: deleting btrfs snapshot failed
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: THROW: deleting snapshot failed
Mar 03 16:43:23 ReadyNAS snapperd[7075]: CAUGHT: deleting snapshot failed

I'm not seeing the 214 snapshot in snapshot.log (no snapshots are listed there for the share).

There are things you could try using ssh, but given that small amount of data in the volume I think you'd be better off backing it up, doing a factory reset, and then setting up the NAS again.

Message 13 of 14
gunrunnerjohn
Aspirant

That's exactly what I'm doing now.  I decided since I was going to knock it flat, I'd upgrade it's disks to larger capacity and start over.

Thanks for looking, don't know what happened there, but it bothered me that something was clearly corrupted.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements