× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installation / HDD Firmware Upgrade

Kaleem
Aspirant

Installation / HDD Firmware Upgrade

Hi,

I need some advice on setting up a ReadyNAS from scratch.

Kit:

ReadyNas NV +V2 (disk less)
4 x 3TB Seagate HDD

I'm running a Win 8.1 setup with a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router.

I've had the ReadyNAS for 2 years but never got round to setting up (didn't really know where to start plus moving countries didn't help). Anyway, I am ready to now start using for what I purchased it for.

In terms of my requirement, I want to setup the 4 drives so that I have 9TB available for maximum disk space as well as redundancy solution with the extra disk.

I remember reading up about the issues experienced with the Seagate 3TB Drives, these are all ST3000DM001 models.

HD #1: Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166, S1F0Y1PV, CC4H
HD #2: Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166, S1F0W2DQ, CC4H
HD #3: Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166, W1F0PZSY, CC4H
HD #4: Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F0SEMK, CC43

What I've done so far?

1) On initial setup, was getting a "Corrupt root & ERR: Could not mount root", with the first drive LED not lighting up.
2) Carried out Factory Reset, and after ages, it said it was done. Upon checking:
i) First HD LED was still not lighting up
ii) Volume was created with size 5.4TB
iii) Having a closer look at the Firmware for the first 3 drives,

The first 3 Drives, I remember the Firmware for these being CC4B, or it's what it says on the drive itself. I don't know how to upgrade the FW myself. However, the ReadyNas provided a summary of my setup and I noticed that the Firmware was more newer for the first 3 drives.

Would the ReadyNAS have done this as part of the initialisation and setup process?
Should I upgrade the FW for the 4th drive from CC43 to what is recommended by Seagate CC49?

3) I removed the 1st HD and inserted again into the ReadyNAS, and then noticed the LED light for the first drive is now showing green, however its not being included as part of the newly created Volume.

Should I do a factory reset again, and get the new volume size i desire? Or,
should i upgrade the Firmware of the 4th drive before doing the factory reset?

How important is the CC43 to CC49 FW upgrade?

Many Thanks

K
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Installation / HDD Firmware Upgrade

Did you look for information about upgrading the firmware?

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... Q/223651en

The readynas will not change the firmware on the drives.
What firmware is running on the readynas?
What does the volume information say about the disks and volume?

The drives you are using are on the HCL but there are many users that have problems with them.

Did you remove an re-add the drive while the nas was on or off?
If the latter, try removing while on then reinserting while on.
If that doesn't work, reboot ( perhaps a few times) and see of the volume expands.
Message 2 of 5
Kaleem
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

I did look for info on HDD Firmware upgrade, and have come across the link you shared.

Firmware running on the NAS is RAIDiator 5.3.10

Volume information states C:5.4 / 5.4T free (on the NAS display), on the device webpage /c X-RAID2 (Redundant) 5.4TB Free of 5.4TB

I removed and re-added the drive whilst the device was off.
Message 3 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Try inserting it with the nas on.
Message 4 of 5
Kaleem
Aspirant

I appear to be up and running now......

I took out one of the drives that seemed to have an older Firmware version, stuck it in my PC and upgraded the Firmware via USB Boot Disk.

Then stuck it back in the ReadyNas and carried out a factory default, which installed everything from scratch and created a Volume size 8.1TB (for 4 x 3TB drives in X-RAID mode)

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm sure I will be back with some other type of issue, now that I will start using the ReadyNAS properly !!!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements