× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installing RN314 - Device not detected

HenrikR
Aspirant

Installing RN314 - Device not detected

I just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS 314 and four WD Red 3.5 drives to put in it. I'm having some basic, probably very easy to resolve issues, but the manual (both physical and online) is extremely unhelpful.

I've installed and plugged in the device, and powered on. It's connected to my internet router. When I start up my browser and go to readycloud.netgear.com it says "No devices discovered" - I've tried waiting for a while and re-scanning, and I've tried pressing the 'backup' button for five seconds and then rescanning, without any success. The display on the device lists an IP address; if I point my browser to that address I get an authentication request from 'ReadyNAS admin' asking for a user-name and password (which I don't have). The display also says "Resync Data 6.59%" and counting up - the manual doesn't say anything about this. I also installed RAIDar but it doesn't find my device either.

I'm running Windows 7 and Chrome 32. I'd appreciate any help; right now I've a couple of questions which the manual doesn't address:

1) When the display says "Resync Data" and a percentage, does that mean the device is formatting my drives? Do I need to wait for it to reach 100% before the device can be discovered? The drives are fresh from the store, so I haven't formatted or used them previously.
2) RAIDar recommends that I make sure that my computer and the NAS are on the same subnet - I know how to identify my subnet mask on my PC, but I don't know how to find out which subnet the device is on.

In addition to this, do you have any other troubleshooting tips I could try?

Thanks for any input.
Message 1 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Installing RN314 - Device not detected

The resync is what you would expect to be happening. It is setting up the Xraid volume.
You should be able to access the device during this process.
The username is admin
The password is password

What is you PCs subnet - it is probably 255.255.255.0
Is the routers dhcp server on?
What ip address is displayed? anyway if you can get to the login dialogue box you should be able to access the admin pages. There is a network tab wehere you will be able to see and/or change the network settings.

I'm pretty sure the manual covers at least the username and password element of your problem.
Message 2 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

Excellent, thanks for the quick answer. You were right - the username and password could be found in the manual, but only in the section on what to do if your device was discovered, so I didn't realize that it could be used here as well. Now I can access the device in the web interface, but I still can't discover it in the Readycloud interface or in the RAIDar utility - is this a problem?

My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and my router's dhcp server is enabled... Looking at the admin http-page, I see that the NAS subnet mask is 255.255.248.0 (configured using DHCP) - I tried changing that to Static configuration and 255.255.255.0 but it's still not discoverable by ReadyCloud / RAIDar. Thanks so far; any other tips?
Message 3 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Your dhcp server is on a different subnet.
What is the IP address of the dhcp server device?
What is the PC IP address?
What is the NAS IP address?
The PC, NAS and dhcp server should have IP addresses that are the same except the 4th number, ie. 192.168.2.x and 192.168.2.y and 192.168.2.z.

Raidar should still see the NAS if your PC can access it, that is strange, but so is that subnet mask?
Message 4 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

This is what I get from IPConfig:

DHCP server: 192.168.2.1
IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.1

From the NAS-display I get the IP address: 213.113.255.47

I still can't get the ReadyCloud service or RAIDar to discover my device. And now I can't even access the NAS via my browser anymore, or get a response when pinging it. Any tips?
Message 5 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

That is ip config on your PC?
The PC and the dhcp server have the same IP address?
How is the PC connected to your lan? Is it plugged in to the router?
What is the IP address of the router- this will be in the router admin pages as LAN IP address?
What range of IP addresses is the dhcp server allocating?

There is some problem with your lan setup if that is the info you get from ip config.
Message 6 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

I think you were right about something being wrong with my setup; even though it was nominally working, I think I had my wireless router plugged in wrong. I've simplified my setup now and unplugged the wireless router, and now RAIDar actually finds my NAS (with a green indicator). However, I still can't find it in ReadyCloud, and when I click 'setup' in RAIDar it tries to open up https://213.113.255.47/admin/ in Chrome, which gives me "This webpage is not available," so I still can't get to the admin pages.

Right now my setup is that I have an Inteno VoIP Gateway , which is connected to the fiber connection in my wall through one ethernet cable, to my PC through another, and to my NAS through a third. After removing the wireless router, ipconfig on my PC now gives me the following information:

IPv4-address: 213.113.251.159
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
DHCP server: 213.113.248.1

The NAS still displays that it has the IP: 213.113.255.47 (which is also what RAIDar says) but it now also says "Cannot connect discovery server". So maybe a small step forward, but not quite there yet?
Message 7 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Removing the gateway will not help.
Was the gateway connected properly? Is it possible you had the NAS connected to the WAN port instead of a lan port?
Is this the internet connection you have been using to access the forums?
There is a WAN port to connect to your fibre connection, then 4 lan ports, 1 should connect to your NAS, 1 to your PC.
Connect to the gateway at 192.168.1.1.( from your PC) This is the default IP address given in the manual I found, it may be different(192.168.2.1), check your manual ( for the VoIP gateway)

The default login details for your VoIP gateway are username admin, password admin.
Message 8 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

When you removed the gateway, how did you connect the NAS to the PC?
....and your internet connection?
Message 9 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

Hmm... Some of that works for me, some of it doesn't. Right now I have a cable from my fiber connection to the WAN port of my Inteno gateway, then my PC on the first port after that, and my NAS on the second port after that. That's how I get the connection I'm using now - before that my PC was connected through my Belkin wireless router which is now removed.

I'm not able to connect to 192.168.1.1, and I'm not able to connect to 213.113.255.47 - both of those just give me a 'page not found' response, both in Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Message 10 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

The limited info I have found on an inteno VoIP gateway suggests that it is also a router.
Is this it?
http://www.inteno.se/store/tabid/141/ca ... fault.aspx

So, when you started the NAS was connected to the inteno and your PC to the belkin.
Which device has the dhcp switched on, or have you got both devices with dhcp switched on.
If the inteno was your dhcp server then you should switch it off on the belkin AND use a static IP address on the belkin.

There must be an IP address on which you access the gateway and on the gateway there should be a dhcp server setting.m you may have switched this off as you were using the belkin.
Maybe you should put the belkin back. If you do, you should plug your PC and NAS into the lan ports of the belkin and the belkin should be connected to the gateway using a lan port.
What then is the IP address of the belkin. Can you access the belkin admin pages and look at the dhcp server settings.

The fundamental problem you seem to have is that the NAS and PC don't seem to be getting IP addresses correctly.
Message 11 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

The Inteno I have is a much older model, for which I can't find much official information (Inteno x6545, also branded as Xavi x6545). I don't seem to be able to find a way of getting at its settings though, and an old post in a forum says that it's most likely a router which is in bridge mode. I'm trying to find out from my IPS how I would go about accessing its settings.

I plugged in the Belkin now, and my setup goes: Fiber connection -> Gateway -> Belkin router -> (NAS & PC). RAIDar can see my NAS, but ReadyCloud can't, and I can't access the NAS IP-address through my browser.

IPConfig on my PC gives me this info:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4 (Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DHCP enabled: Yes

Going into the settings on the Belkin router shows me:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DHCP server: On
IP Pool Starting Address > 192.168.2.2
IP Pool Ending address > 192.168.2.100

Is there something else I should be looking for or changing?

Thanks.
Message 12 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

What is the NAS IP address now?
What happens now when you try to access the NAS IP?
Message 13 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

The NAS IP is still 213.113.255.47 according to both the LCD display and to RAIDar. When I try to connect to it, either by just typing in the address in the Chrome address bar or by hitting 'setup' in RAIDar (which sends me to https://213.113.255.47/admin/ ) I get "This webpage is not available". The same happens if I try in IE.
Message 14 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

You don't have any MAC address filtering on the Belkin?
Have you rebooted the Nas, does it come up wih the same address?
Also clear your browser cache.
Also try doing an OS reinstall on the readynas using the boot menu, this will reset the network settings.
Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

The NAS seems to be getting a public IP address. Was it configured to use DHCP?
Message 16 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Yes. OP seemed to have set up the unit from scratch therefore I'd assume it was set to dhcp, however it's not behaving that way now.
He had it connected to this gateway which he cannot access, although I can't see how an incorect connection would lead to a permanent change in the settings.
Hopefully an OS reinstall will reset it to dhcp and he'll be able to access it.
Otherwise I think I've run out of suggestions, short of pointing to support.

HenrikR, the other thing you could try is removing the inteno gateway from the lan ( temporarily). Disconnect it from the belkin so that it is not available to the NAS.

Please post results of this and/ or your OS reinstall.
Message 17 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

HenrikR wrote:

My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and my router's dhcp server is enabled... Looking at the admin http-page, I see that the NAS subnet mask is 255.255.248.0 (configured using DHCP) - I tried changing that to Static configuration and 255.255.255.0 but it's still not discoverable by ReadyCloud / RAIDar. Thanks so far; any other tips?

Did you leave the NAS with a static setup? You later post about the discovery server error suggests that it was still in dhcp, but I'm wondering whether it is stuck with that address now.

This information:
Pv4-address: 213.113.251.159
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
DHCP server: 213.113.248.1

Which you obtained from you PC when connected to the gateway suggests that the gateway is acting as a dhcp server but is serving public addresses to you lan. If you could get access to the admin pages you'd be able to find out.
I also wonder whether you could set you PC a static address as above with a subnet as above then try to connect to the NAS with its current address.
I think you need to remove the gateway from the equation until you figure this out. It seems to be creating the problem.
Message 18 of 19
HenrikR
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all the help - I got my ISP to take back the (very old) bridged Inteno gateway and to give me a Zyxel router with wireless capability, making my Belkin unnecessary. I plugged my ReadyNAS and PC into the Zyxel and after only minor tweaks I was able to discover the NAS and access the admin interface. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but it seems that you correctly identified it as being linked to the gateway. Now I'm starting to explore the possibilities of what I can do with the NAS and worrying about security (I find it kind of worrying that right now I can directly map my NAS as a network drive on my work computer through the internet - it seems unsafe 🙂 ) instead. Thanks a lot for all the help!
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements