× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent freezes with RN 204

Slaine_McRoth
Aspirant

Intermittent freezes with RN 204

I have an RN204, 4 x 6TB drives in an X-Raid running firmware 6.6.1

There are no warnings of errors in the logs.

Once started the NAS works well, all mapped network drives visible and accessable.  Files large (10gb for E.g.) and small can be moved to and from the NAS nice and quickly.

However after a few hours of running access to the NAS gets tricky.  Via file explorer it starts by taking an age to display the folders and files and eventually these become completely inaccessable.  The NAS and all the shares can still be accessed via the admin page through my browser (firefox).  This doesn't help me when watching films for instance.

This problem has only been going on for a week or perhaps less. Rebooting the NAS works for a few hours.

I cannot see how this can be a permissions issues as it works sometimes and not others.

So far I have only changed on thing, I have undone the bonded ethernet adapters and have unplugged the second cable.  Oddly this actually improved the file transfer rate.  The NAS has a reerved IP address on the router.

RAIDar reports no errors, although eventually it is unable to see the NAS too.

This may be inaccurate but it seems that when the NAS is causing problems with file explorer there sounds like a lot of disk activity is going on in the NAS.

This problem is driving me up the wall.  It is very recent and has not been prompted by something I have changed.  Despite much searching I have not found a solution.

I have 'enjoyed' the NAS up until this point but this problem is rendering it next to useless at times.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 1 of 8
Slaine_McRoth
Aspirant

Re: Intermittent freezes with RN 204

Update, my other pc on the network can access the shares when the primary pc cannot.  So I guess it must be a network issue?

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

As it is known, that Antivirus may cause issues after upgrading to 6.6.1 why not disabling this service for a few hours/days and see whether you experience improvement.

Message 3 of 8
Slaine_McRoth
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion but antivirus is not enabled.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you using the same operating systems on both pc?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Is ipv6 enabled on the NAS?  That can cause issues, esp if your network is ipv4.

Message 6 of 8
Slaine_McRoth
Aspirant

Both PCs are using Windows 10.  One as an upgrade from 8.1 and the other (the troublesome one) a fresh install from purchased media.

Message 7 of 8
Slaine_McRoth
Aspirant

ivp6 was enabled with a route address of 0.0.0.0 which I have now disabled.  So far since the last reboot mid morning I haven't had a complete lock up.  Although it does tend to occur in the late evening.  Perhaps unbonding the two ethernet ports and disconnecting the second ethernet cable has helped. I notice somewhere that bonded adapters caused someonelse to have problems.

Thanks for the clear responses and for just responding.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements