× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with adding/creating drives with NV+ v2 #24236683

ceilingcat
Aspirant

Issue with adding/creating drives with NV+ v2 #24236683

I have a Readynas NV+ V2.

For a long time now I have had three different sized drives running in JBOD config in Flex-Raid.
I recently bought a couple of compatible 4TB drives as one of the existing ones had started to fail and decided it was time to swap it out.

I backed up all my data onto one of the new drives connected to my PC and tried hot swapping in the other new drive to the NAS box.
When I did this it seemed to detect just fine, but show the wrong size on the LCD, and not show in the middle of the GUI the same as the others notmally do, showing free space etc.

I did a factory reset on the box with just the one largest drive in it while removing all partitions from the other two smaller drives etc, and the big drive showed ok where it should and was accessible.
Though as had happened with it when i tried to swap it in, the other two drives when inserted, showed detected and testing on the LCD and then nothing else happened. I tried doing a volume scan etc with a reboot but it simply said it failed.
So basically the drives don't create/partition.

I have since done a FR with all three drives in and they all get partitioned fine, but the problem is I have a second larger drive that has all my data on it, which I can easily then move to the one in the NAS, but itself obviously won't format and mount once I have done that and put it in as well.

The only potential workaround I can think of is to FR with the first three drives in, set up their shares etc, copy the backed up data to the first one, and remove them, factory reset with the 4th drive alone, and then insert all the other drives again. After testing a little this seems like it should work as I put a little data on each of them and two of them showed with all data intact. Though I feel this might be taking undue risk with my files so don't want to unless I really have to.

I did try support but this is well beyond my 90 days so I am left with asking people here for some assistance with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The new drives are compatible also, and the others always worked fine.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Issue with adding/creating drives with NV+ v2 #24236683

I would not recommend JBOD. You will lose data if a disk fails using that.

With X-RAID on the other hand if one disk fails your data remains intact.

If your data is important to you, you should keep a backup regardless of what RAID level you choose to use. Have you considered getting an additional disk?

I wouldn't recommend your potential workaround idea.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 5
ceilingcat
Aspirant

It's not vital mission critical stuff, and I need the extra space more than I need data preservation at this point.

Besides, changing to a different raid config does not really solve my problem unfortunately. All I know is I was always able to add in drives before like this regardless of what kind of raid setup. Now I don't seem to be able to.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of RAIDiator is on the system?
Message 4 of 5
ceilingcat
Aspirant

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements