× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Kernell Error when restoring Time Machine

Lithium-Admin
Novice

Kernell Error when restoring Time Machine

Hi.

I have a Netgear ReadyNas NV+. When I changed to a new harddrive in my MacBook Pro Unibody 15" I get a Kernell Error. Please let me know how to fix this since your swedish "support" referesce me to this forum and "thinks that I have to do something to the timemachine" when I want to use it.
Message 1 of 13
peter_b2
Aspirant

Kernel panic with initial backup

I've had the same problem with kernel panic when I did my first backup in Time Machine. Having a look at the log of the crash there seems to be an issue related to Spotlight search, so I disabled Spotlight using a command in Terminal. With Spotlight disabled Time Machine has been able to backup the entire disk, seemingly whithout any snags.

I'll try Spotlight again to see if the kernel panic is only related to indexing of the initial backup.

Turning of spotlight for Time Machine isn't allowed in Lion, so I'm wondering if someone knows the Terminal command line that disables indexing in time Machine?

Regards
Peter
Message 2 of 13
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Re: Kernell Error when restoring Time Machine

Thanks Peter. I threw out my ReadyNas a LONG time ago. Now I only buy products that accutaly works and from companys that have some sort of support. Never again NetGEAR or Ready NAS.
Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

JohanL. You only made one post in this thread in March. You could've posted your case number in the thread title. Also If you felt you did not have adequate response from support and got no answer on the forum you could've bumped the topic a few times by posting e.g. "anyone?" and then if that still didn't work sent a PM to one of the Jedi Council (name shown in "red" or "green").

Peter, from a quick search on the web, I don't think Spotlight can be disabled for TM backups in Lion at all.

What version of RAIDiator are you running? If already running 4.2.19, are you willing to try 4.2.20 beta?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=57193
Message 4 of 13
Lithium-Admin
Novice

And Netgear could hire persons in the swedish support that can answer questions about your products, and NOT just give the customers a link to an english site that don't answer questions. OR just build a product that works.
Message 5 of 13
peter_b2
Aspirant

JohanL. Sorry to hear you threw it out! They seem to require some work to get them to do what you want but I think it looks promising.

mdgm. I'm running 4.2.19. I'll look in to the beta version this weekend.

Thanks for the advice
Peter
Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Johan this is a community forum. Some posts get missed. Also if a user only posts once and not again after a period of time it is assumed that the problem has been resolved.

However the moderators of this forum are mainly senior ReadyNAS developers. If you had sent one of them a PM, they would have at the very least got support to review your case (e.g. contacting a senior member of NetGear Swedish tech support), or possibly even offered to help look into the problem themselves.

Also If you had posted your support case number in the thread title it would've also been more likely to be noticed.

"peter b" you may also wish to open a tech support case. They may have some ideas that may help.
Message 7 of 13
peter_b2
Aspirant

After Time Machine made its first backup i turned on Spotlight again and everything has been running as it's supposed to. Therefore I've put off trying the 4.2.20 beta for the time beeing.

Thanks for taking time to give advice, mdgm!

Regards
Peter
Message 8 of 13
Lithium-Admin
Novice

mdgm: Since this is the forum that official Netgear personal refered me to, in my book this is a officiall Netgear custumor service. It either that, or you are saying that Netgear don't know what the hell there are doing and just hopes that there customors will help them self.
Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well my comments above still stand. There are multiple things you could and should have tried to get assistance. Whilst some NetGear employees visit this forum, most of those that do (e.g. ReadyNAS developers), do so in their spare time, and even when they do they tend to notice threads with the case number in the title, and may look at the case notes to see what support has suggested or tried and could possibly review the case (though this could be a bit difficult as your case notes would probably be in your local language) and escalate it if necessary.

The official support is giving NetGear a call within 90 days of purchase (or if have purchased ProSupport contract) or using my.netgear.com. Whilst some help can be provided here, it's not the same and there is no guarantee of a response here.
Message 10 of 13
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Don't tell me, tell the your swedish personal. THEY only recommended me THIS site.
Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't work for NetGear either. I'm just a user.
Message 12 of 13
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Wow, then I'm realy going to stay away from Netgear in the future. And the first step is to unregister from this site. Thanks for YOUR help.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements