× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing patience with RN102 DLNA

eob
Aspirant
Aspirant

Losing patience with RN102 DLNA

Hi,
I bought a RN102 and installed a compatible 3TB Seagate drive.
Everything was going OK until I started looking into the media streaming.
I added two new shares but they do not appear in either my Panasonic Viera TV or the ReadyDLNA Ipad App.
I have been trying for the past three days to get this working now and am about to give up.

This forum obviously has a wealth of knowledge and some people seems to be experiencing similar issues, some having success.

But with regards to some of the terms, I'm thinking I'm looking at a different piece of equipment.

RAIDiator, ReadyDLNA App, Manual Media Scan button, upnp-av.log. I have none of these things!
I'm also getting confused by the use of RAIDar, Frontview and RAIDiator? Which is which?

I'm running a firmware of 6.1.1 but as I say, I'm not sure if this is Frontview or RAIDiator or whatever.

I hope someone can help but I'm burning too much time on this and I'm seriously close to drop kicking it back to Amazon.

Cheers.
Message 1 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Losing patience with RN102 DLNA

Frontview is the web admin UI of old models. RAIDiator is the name for the firmware that runs on old models.

RAIDar is a client app you can run on your Mac/Linux/Windows machine to discover the NAS.

If you download your logs you should get a zip file. If you extract the contents of this zip file there should be a upnp-av.log
Message 2 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

On my RN312 with 6.1.1, the ReadyDLNA iPad app is working as expected for me. I just created a new share with DLNA service ticked, added a jpg, went to the ReadyDLNA button under System/Settings and hit Rescan. A few minutes later, the jpg showed up in the iPad app.

As for the Viera TV.....I am finding it intermittently picks up the ReadyNAS (at least on previous versions of OS6 - have yet to try on 6.1.1). Previously I had to virtually turn everything off and on to get the TV to pick up the NAS....eventhough my Win7 PC using Windows Media could see the ReadyNAS DLNA server. Still trying to work out whats happening there....
Message 3 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

mdgm wrote:

If you download your logs you should get a zip file. If you extract the contents of this zip file there should be a upnp-av.log

I dont see a upnp-av.log in my zip file - or anything relating solely to DLNA.
Message 4 of 23
eob
Aspirant
Aspirant

ReadyJabba wrote:
mdgm wrote:

I dont see a upnp-av.log in my zip file - or anything relating solely to DLNA.

Yeah, this is the same for me.
I have been through the entire Web UI and I can see no 'Services' tab and nothing to do with Re-scan media.

Is the 102 the successor to the Duo, V1 and V2 or is it a lesser model? :?
Message 5 of 23
eob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should have mentioned that I can see the Shares on a Windows laptop and can copy/read files to/from them.

The Viera can see the NAS and connect each time to the default shares, Pictures, Music and Videos. The iPad app can see the NAS but is a bit flaky when connection, generally just showing the spinning disc.
Message 6 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Go to System > Settings > Services and click on the ReadyDLNA button. You will see an option to do a Rescan.

As for a log for ReadyDLNA it looks like you're right and they are not logging it.

If you look at /data/.apps/.readydlna/files.db you will see the database for ReadyDLNA. Does this database contain references to the media in your media collection?
Message 7 of 23
eob
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it, thanks.
It was hiding in plain sight. Lol.

I'm now wondering if the Viera Smart TV is only showing the DLNA category. i.e Music, Pictures, Video.
The new shares are still not showing up even though the content in them is listed in 'All Folders' and can be viewed.
Message 8 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In your logs there should be a systemd-journal.log

Open it, preferably in a viewer where you can filter it to only show lines containing text matching a string. If you filter it for minidlna you should see the logs for ReadyDLNA.
Message 9 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

If I make any changes to etc/minidlna.conf, they work until the NAS is reset, or if the ReadyDLNA services is started/restarted, then it reverts back to default.

The setting I was adding was;
friendly_name=READYNAS

Any ideas on why this file is getting overwritten each time and how to prevent that?
Message 10 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The values for things such as that need to match what is in the sqlite3 database /var/readynasd/db.sq3

As well as editing /etc/minidlna.conf try this command:

# sqlite3 /var/readynasd/db.sq3 "UPDATE service_dlna SET friendly_name='READYNAS'"

Once you have made this change it should stick.

There are other fields which can be changed too, but do be careful. Some settings should not be changed (e.g. the db_dir one).

sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(service_dlna);
0|enabled|INT|0|0|0
1|port|INT|1|8200|0
2|friendly_name|VARCHAR(63)|0|NULL|0
3|album_art_names|VARCHAR(1023)|1|'Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/AlbumArt_{*/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg'|0
4|inotify|INT|1|1|0
5|enable_tivo_server|INT|1|0|0
6|presentation_url|VARCHAR(511)|0|NULL|0
7|notify_interval|INT|1|900|0
8|serial|VARCHAR(63)|0|NULL|0
9|model_number|VARCHAR(63)|0|NULL|0
10|db_dir|VARCHAR(63)|0|NULL|0
11|enable_tivo_archiver|INT|1|0|0
sqlite> select * from service_dlna;
1|8200|READYNAS|Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/AlbumArt_{*/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg|1|0||900||||1
Message 11 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
The values for things such as that need to match what is in the sqlite3 database /var/readynasd/db.sq3

As well as editing /etc/minidlna.conf try this command:

# sqlite3 /var/readynasd/db.sq3 "UPDATE service_dlna SET friendly_name='READYNAS'"

Once you have made this change it should stick.

That didnt seem to work. Should anything be returned when I execute that command? Should the ReadyDLNA service be stopped while I am doing this?
Message 12 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you edit /etc/minidlna.conf as well?

Yes, it would be advisable to stop ReadyDLNA then start it again.
Message 13 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

OK stopped ReadyDLNA and edited minidlna.conf and ran command...but when I restart ReadyDLNA the name is still the default ReadyNAS 312.
Message 14 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What happens if you reboot the NAS? Is it fixed then?
Message 15 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

No, reboot is the same.

Strangely, I have been playing around with notify_interval values (down from default 900) to see if that fixes my Panasonic Viera issue of not seeing the ReadyNAS. I can edit the minidlna.conf notify_interval value and it will save and survive reboot. But not addition of friendly_name, with or without the command line you specified. Not a big deal really, just wanted to know if there were any other settings I could try to get the Viera more reliable. Could try new router, but other Win7 PCs and iPads etc can see the NAS ok via DLNA/UPNP. Not much I can change on the TV either....
Message 16 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you sure you entered the command correctly?

If you do

# sqlite3 /var/readynasd/db.sq3
# select * from service_dlna;
# .quit

What is the output of the select command?
Message 17 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

The output after line 2 was
...>

I just pasted the whole original line into a putty session.
Message 18 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops, I forgot a ";" (no quotes) that belongs at the end of line 2
Message 19 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

Output with the ';' is
Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/AlbumArt_{*/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg|1|0||5||||1
Message 20 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

So now I tried the following;
1/ Turned off DLNA service
2/ Edited minidlna.config to contain friendly_name=READYNAS
3/Ran the following commands

# sqlite3 /var/readynasd/db.sq3
sqlite> UPDATE service_dlna SET friendly_name='READYNAS';

4/ Then from

sqlite> select * from service_dlna;

I got;
1|8200|READYNAS|Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/AlbumArt_{*/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg|1|0||5||||

Which looks like its working (ie READYNAS is showing up as friendly_name if that in fact is what the 3rd variable is in that returned string.

However when I restart ReadyDLNA, the broadcast name is unchanged and the friendly_name line in minidlna.conf is erased.

Also, the string returned from the Select command is the same after reboot. But still the broadcast name is ReadyNAS 312
Message 21 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Where did you add that line in /etc/minidlna.conf ?

I added it to the bottom of mine and it wasn't erased when I rebooted.
Message 22 of 23
ReadyJabba
Tutor

Tried at the bottom. Tried 2nd row. Tried 2nd row and at bottom.

I was thinking it might be a permissions thing...butas I said before - I have changed the notify_interval value and it sticks.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements