× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Maximum volume size?

brian_mcgee
Aspirant

Maximum volume size?

What's the maximum volume size the duo will allow?

At the moment I've got a pair of 1.5tb drives in raid 0, forming a single 3tb volume and I'm thinking of switching them for 3tb drives for a 6tb volume.

Just thought I should check that the duo's software can support a volume that size, particularly since I've seen things that say the duo's maximum capacity is 1.5tb. Is that just a raid-1 array of the largest drives available at the time that was written, or an actual technical disk capacity limitation?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
dbott67
Guide

Re: Maximum volume size?

Currently the sparc-based units (Duo, NV+) only support up to 2 TB drives (IIRC) meaning that you're limited to 4 TB on the Duo. x86-based units are currently limited to 3TB drives.

I seem to recall that the theoretical volume size for the ReadyNAS is 64 TB, but that is based upon a number of factors including the total number of drives in the array.
Message 2 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

The limit on the sparc based units (NV+, Duo) is 2TB drives. If you set up 2TB Raid0 volumes, then it is 4TB. If you use Raid1 or X-Raid then it is 2TB.

To use 3TB drives you need to upgrade to the x-86 line (Ultra/Pro).

The development for Linux support of the sparc processor ended before the 3TB drives were developed so GPT support is not present (3TB drives use GPT rather than MBR).
Message 3 of 8
brian_mcgee
Aspirant

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. A pair of 2tbs it is.
Message 4 of 8
cgeyik
Aspirant

Hi, newcomer here:

So basically if i have two 2tb drives and set them on raid0: ill get ONE volume of 4tb?
Message 5 of 8
sphardy1
Apprentice

cgeyik wrote:
Hi, newcomer here:

So basically if i have two 2tb drives and set them on raid0: ill get ONE volume of 4tb?

Correct - you'll also get 2x the risk of a disk failure causing you to lose all your data (ie one disk fails, data on both is lost)
Message 6 of 8
cgeyik
Aspirant

Hmmm, one volume of 4tb is indeed not such a good idea. I tried to find out how to disable the raid controller so that i can create a C and D volume, with 2tb each. Next time ill buy a 300euro device, devices in that range have support for at least 6tb as far as i know.
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can delete the volume created by default when you choose Flex-RAID and then create two single disk RAID-0 volumes
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements