× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Move from DOMAIN to USER security mode

aselke
Aspirant

Move from DOMAIN to USER security mode

I have been running my ReadyNAS NV+ in a home-office setting for several years under a Windows AD controller. For various reasons, I would like to change the security mode of the ReadyNAS from DOMAIN to USER mode (managing the accounts on the ReadyNAS itself.

The domain controller is not active right now, and it would take some labor to bring it back online. I would like to simply change the security mode and use the advanced share tab to reset all of the file/directory permissions on the shares. The only thing stopping me is the big, scary pop-up warning that the ReadyNAS displays when you try to change security mode off of domain. Since I have no active DC, I can't follow the advice of the pop-up and change all the file permissions from a WIndows machine.

Can I use the share's advanced tab to reset the permissions after I change modes, or will that not work? I certainly do NOT want to lose the files and/or access to the files.

I am running RAIDiator 4.1.7

Tony
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Move from DOMAIN to USER security mode

If you currently have access to the files backup that data.

Then have a go at changing the security mode and using the advanced options tab.
Message 2 of 8
aselke
Aspirant

I do not have access, because the DC is not running. That's the problem - no one can authenticate and gain access. I don't want to take on the expense/effort of getting it back just to backup the files and change the permissions. I am trying to find out if that share/advanced screen will do what it claims, or if the "scare me" dialog is a real concern.

Tony
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Most likely you should be able to set ownership and permissions for existing files but it is recommended to backup your data just in case of the unlikely event something goes wrong. Better to be overly cautious than the other extreme.

Do you use private home shares? I would suggest backing up at least that data if you do.
Message 4 of 8
aselke
Aspirant

Perhaps I am missing something here ... my understanding/experience is that, with no active DC, that no one can access any of the files on the ReadyNAS, because any access causes a check back to the AD, which isn't available. Is there some way to backup files without the DC available?
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could use a Frontview backup job. In Frontview (web-admin interface of the NAS) there is a section for backup.
Message 6 of 8
tqc4869
Aspirant

So... What happened?  I'm facing the same question now.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please don't revive long dead threads. In future please start a new one.

My advice would be to follow the suggestions I gave earlier in the thread.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements