× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multi User Access File Permissions Not Working

TobyE
Guide

Multi User Access File Permissions Not Working

My share permissions have stopped working after an OS reinstall and restoring a configuration file on my ReadyNAS 312. 6.1.7

Share Settings:

Network Access: For all shares the SMB protocol is activated and I have given Everyone & Admin network access

File Access: For all shares I have set the folder owner and folder group to admin.

Scenario 1: For my personal folder, I have given file read/write access to “Toby”
From my PC or my android tablet (SMB) I can see the server, I can see the “Toby” folder, but I get access denied when I try to open the folder.

Scenario 2: For my Pictures folder, I have given Read Only access to everyone, and Read/Write access to Toby.
From both machines, I can see the server, I can see the Pictures folder, and when I open the folder I can see and open the files, but the Toby user cannot save or delete files.

I have even created a new user and a new share with the same results. I have tried every combination of File Access settings and the only ones that work are the permissions for Everyone and Folder Owner. I can simulate what I want to do for my personal folder Toby, but setting the folder owner to Toby, and giving the Folder Owner Read/Write access (no privileges for everyone).

This does not work for my backup folder, because there are three users that need read/write access and choosing this access for individual users does not work as well as choosing read/write for the “Users” group does not work. In other words, I can’t give read/write access to more than one user without giving read/write access to everyone.

I’ve tried resetting the permissions to default and they work, but changing them back to what I want always fails.

Your help would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements