× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS Move to New Server / Domain

msw1
Aspirant

NAS Move to New Server / Domain

Hello. Is it possible to move my NAS Pro from my old SBS 2003 Server to a new Server 2012 and Domain.. I need to retain all of the data etc.. If this is doable do I simply change the domain settings in the NAS and then add the drive on the server like I did when I added it to the SBS2003 Box..

I also have a second question about moving my SQL databases from the 2003 box to the NAS and then leaving them there going forward rather than installing and running them directly on the new 2012 box.. We are currently using SQL Express 2008 and (2) tables and the main reason I'd like to do this is so I could take advantage of the replication features in the NAS for future disaster recovery settings..

Thanks again..Scott
Message 1 of 4
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: NAS Move to New Server / Domain

The data will be untouched if you are just changing AD servers. I assume this is a new forest.
You may need to alter permissions via domain ID map.
Shouldn't have any issues with running SQL database from Samba.
Message 2 of 4
msw1
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.. I'm not a server expert by any means so I'm not sure what Domain ID Map is.. We've got around 25 users so my plan is to install the new windows 2012 server and setup the new Domain "Forest" and create the users. Once my users are created I plan to disconnect their workstations from the old domain and join them to the new domain and map a drive letter to the NAS Device.. I realize I'll need to grant these new users rights to the NAS but will there be any problems with the old rights still on the NAS from the old server or will that be gone once I mount it on the new server?

I need to do some reading on what samba is but I assume this is the link that allows sql and it's tables to function when not directly installed on an internal HD on the server.

Thanks again for you help with this sorry if these are elementary questions....Scott
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The samba service provides Windows File Sharing.

When you go to e.g. \\hostname or \\ip.address.of.nas you are connecting to the NAS over the SMB/CIFS protocol.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements