× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS is Unexpectedly Off - #23580255

schalliol
Aspirant

NAS is Unexpectedly Off - #23580255

I am encountering a strange issues in which my Ultra 4 Plus is unexpectedly off. I recently installed APC's network shut down, but I don't see any log activity there, and further, there's no activity in FrontView. Where else should I look to find out if it was a commanded shut down vs some sort of short that wouldn't show up anywhere? Thanks!
Message 1 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

Re: NAS is Unexpectedly Off

Any Ideas? This keeps happening.
Message 2 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

What is APC's network shut down?

There should be an alert in Frontview if it is shutdown normally, if using NUT to shutdown the ReadyNAS.

If you don't connect the NAS to power via the UPS or stop using APC's network shut down do you still have the problem?

Do you have any other devices connected to the UPS? If yes, do you find them unexpectedly off as well?
Message 3 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!
  • I am running 4.2.26

• APC's PowerChute Network Shutdown is a free product from APC to shut down NETGEAR ReadyNAS x86 via signal from an APC network source - in my case an AP9619 in a SU1400RM. Here's the link
  • My next logical step was to just discontinue using APC PowerChute Network Shutdown, but I thought there might be some logs beyond front view I could check
  • Nothing else shuts down
  • I assumed there might be a way to read console logs, but I'm not sure how that works on this flavor of UNIX
Message 4 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you are comfortable with SSH you could try looking at /var/log/syslog etc.

Not sure which log the APC PowerChute Network Shutdown would use. Have you asked APC about this?
Message 5 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

I looked into the logs and after reviewing all logs including the syslog that were updated today, the last entries in the logs follow. Whether it's the CRON job or whether it's something after this, I can't say. This suggests that the system was alive at 5:23 this AM, and the only other log entries near this time were an hour before when a USB disk backup completed.

Auth Log
Jul  7 05:22:10 NAS sudo:    admin : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/ethtool eth0
Jul 7 05:22:10 NAS sudo: admin : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/ethtool eth1
Jul 7 05:22:11 NAS sudo: admin : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/mdconfig -t
Jul 7 05:23:01 NAS CRON[17068]: (pam_unix) session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul 7 05:23:01 NAS CRON[17068]: (pam_unix) session closed for user root

The mdconfig I believe creates a memory disk

Cron Log
Jul  7 05:23:01 NAS /USR/SBIN/CRON[17069]: (root) CMD (  /usr/bin/empty_exim &>/dev/null)

I think the exim refers to email, but I'm not sure what exactly it does. It runs a lot. In the cron log, there are a dozen plus entries in a day. It appears it's the last entry for a number of the daily "turn off"/crash. The related Auth log cron entry also shows.

Thoughts? I will turn off network shutdown in the interim too. Thanks!
Message 6 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

Well, after factory defaulting, I'm again finding that the Ultra 4 Plus is off. I can't see anything in the logs, so I am thinking it crashed or something similar. I'm worried it's a hardware issue. I'm just barely three years from purchase, so I'm out of warranty. :cry: I had a problem like that with my NV+ that required a new power supply just out of warranty. :cry:

Is there anything I can run to test the components when it is on?
Message 7 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you open a support case at my.netgear.com and attach your logs and post the case number here?
Message 8 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

Done. Case: 23580255.

Just FYI, I hoped that since I tried everything I could think of under OS4, I thought I'd try OS6, and it did not help. I recently pulled the USB drives to isolate that component, and I saw nothing helpful. Thanks for your help!
Message 9 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NAS is Unexpectedly Off - #23580255

One of your disks has 26 reallocated sectors and the other two of your disks have one reallocated sector each. Are you able to test your disks using SeaTools?

Have you run the memory test?
Message 10 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply! It has since crashed again this early AM. Would the allocating sectors cause a ReadyNAS to hang and actually be powered off? I guess it just seems strange that if there's a hang that you'd actually find the device at a total stop. I would expect power to be on and nothing happening, but what do I know? (probably not much in this space!)

I don't have a good way to access via SeaTools as a Mac user, but I suppose I could just yank the drive and eliminate redundancy since I everything is many multiple backed-up right now and ask Seagate to replace the one with the large sector issue. The Constellation ES drives should have a five year warranties I think.

I have not run the memory test. How do I do that?
Message 11 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think the NAS would be totally off just from reallocated sectors. So a hardware issue perhaps a PSU issue as you guessed could be the cause.

The memory test boot option can be run via the boot menu: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20898
Message 12 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll reboot the NAS tonight and look into the PSU! Thanks!
Message 13 of 15
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Just pulled your case into my bin. Check your email for some goodies. 🙂
Message 14 of 15
schalliol
Aspirant

siigna, thanks so much for taking care of this! What a great company NETGEAR is and a great fit to take forward from the legacy Infrant built!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements