× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR NAS214 SLOW ON SEARCH BY TERMS

Amorim_Jose
Aspirant

NETGEAR NAS214 SLOW ON SEARCH BY TERMS

HI,

I recently bought the ReadyNas 214 to make backups of my job files and acess to then in my house or even outdoors.

I have four 3tb sata disks in raid5 and creat a shared folder "work" where i put all my folders and file jobs.

The problem is that when i tried to make a search by term to find any job file name that i need it take a several minutes to locate in the pc and even in the mac it take more time and sometimes it dont appear...

In this case i do the search in the same network area

Anyone could help me? Whats the problem?

I have normal sata disks in the NAS... i search on the internet and see there is specified disks "NAS HARD DRIVE"... i have to have this disks to improve the speed of acess?

Regards

Amorim

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: NETGEAR NAS214 SLOW ON SEARCH BY TERMS

Search is always slow when you do it on a network folder.  It's not the disk speed, it's the network speed that limits performance.  Another aspect is that local folders are indexed by Windows, but network shares aren't.  Even if you use ethernet, the search can take a while.

There is a file search feature in the NAS admin web ui that you could try using (instead of doing a folder search on the PC or Mac).

Maybe also create a "Jobs" folder, so you don't have to search all of "Work" to find what you need.

@Amorim_Jose wrote:

I have normal sata disks in the NAS... i search on the internet and see there is specified disks "NAS HARD DRIVE"... i have to have this disks to improve the speed of acess?

Can you give us the model of the disks you are using?

Message 2 of 4
Amorim_Jose
Aspirant

"There is a file search feature in the NAS admin web ui"

Where can o find this??

I think you dont understand... I access the files and the search by Ethernet on the dá-me space...

The information of the disks I can tell u later because I dont have the nas with me right now
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Amorim_Jose wrote:
"There is a file search feature in the NAS admin web ui"

Where can o find this??

On the first page of the NAS web ui.  

filesearch.png

@Amorim_Jose wrote:

I think you dont understand... I access the files and the search by Ethernet

I totally understand this.  File search over ethernet is much slower than file access over ethernet.  Folder browsing is also slower than copying files.

@Amorim_Jose wrote:

The information of the disks I can tell u later because I dont have the nas with me right now

Generally speaking, it is best to use NAS-purposed drives (or enterprise drives) in your NAS.  What you want to avoid is drives that use SMR technology.  But using SMR drives won't slow down read speeds (or search).   They slow down write speeds (often dramatically).  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements