× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ 4.1.9 wont re-sync - re-added drive seen as 'spare'

punchbuggy
Guide

NV+ 4.1.9 wont re-sync - re-added drive seen as 'spare'

My apologies if something like this has previously been posted, but I cant find a suitable thread.

I have an NV+ V1 4.1.9 with 3 x 2TB WD Green HDs in a RAID5 config. I started to receive disk errors on the 2nd drive. It hadn't failed but as I had a spare of an identical disk I preemptively hot-swapped them. Nothing happened other then a 'remove' and 'add' disk 2 message - no sync, nothing. 2nd LED keeps blinking. Restarted the unit, and it then saw the 2nd disk but only as a 'spare' - still nothing happens, and can't find an option to force it to be part of the active array.

Replaced the original disk back in, but it still only see's it as a spare after having to re-boot again (nothing happened).

So, all 3 original disks are where they were, LEDs solid on, but the unit still only see's the original 2nd disk as a RAID 5 spare. How do I re-add it as an active member of the array again?

I don't want to delete the volume and recreate - I'm worried I'll lose the data.

Any sage advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 3
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: NV+ 4.1.9 wont re-sync - re-added drive seen as 'spare'

There is another to manually add the disk back into the array, but that would suggest a support case.

I recommend backups on a regular basis in case something like this were to go sour.
Message 2 of 3
punchbuggy
Guide

Re: NV+ 4.1.9 wont re-sync - re-added drive seen as 'spare'

No - all OK. The unit was just taking it's sweet time to decide to start the sync. This morning I noticed that the NAS had commenced the sync, and should be don in 28 hours time! :shock:

Logs suggest it took about 30 min to kick the process off... interesting.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements