× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ Stuck at 8% on Resync after ATA errors

NV+ Stuck at 8% on Resync after ATA errors

Hi There, I'm looking for some advice and help to get my NV+ back on line.

I have an NV+ (original version) with 4 drives in RAID X configuration. Last week the unit sent an email stating that a SATA reset had been performed on one or more disks (it turns out that disk 4 was the problem) and it asked me to resync. This has now been running for 3 days and is stuck at 8% in RAIDAR. If I use RAIDAR and hover over the relevant LED for Drive 4 it says this drive has ATA errors.

I've ordered a new hard drive but given that I cant access any of the shares or volumes and the Resync seems to be well and truly stuck I don't know what to do!!!

I'm looking for direction as to how I can best recover the unit, do I do a hard reset, can I just swap drive out in realtime as is or once I've shut it down. Do I just remove the dodgy hard disk and get it to do a resync and then add the new disk in? The unit has 4 x 1.4TB (usable) drives in and has around 1TB of free space as it stands).

Whilst I can access the homepage for the NAS none of the other pages elicit a response and even the homepage is painfully slow. I can ping the IP address but this isn't telling me much.

So, what do I do next and in what order? I've tried support and been sent here.

Any help apprecaited.

Al.
Message 1 of 4

Re: NV+ Stuck at 8% on Resync after ATA errors

Anyone know what not to do?
Message 2 of 4
chirpa
Luminary

Remove the bad disk for now, get replacement ASAP. If its still stuck at resync, try rebooting.
Message 3 of 4

Thanks chirpa.

I have shut the device down by pressing and holding the power button (which I believe activates shutdown as I could not access the web UI anymore). I removed the bad drive and stuck in the replacement that arrived today and hey presto on boot up the device started with a file system check, then a disk initialization and now the unit is back on line (9 hours plus to complete the initialization) and responding normally.

So if anyone else out there has this problem then that looks like a set of reasonable steps to take.

And if nothing else remember that raid configuration is only good if you have a backup somewhere else!!

Cheers,
Al
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements