× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ (v1) died

mmk1
Follower

NV+ (v1) died

Hello,

Yesterday my NV+ died. Probably something with the power supply because there is absolutely nothing happening. Since I have it already for years I think this is the perfect moment for an upgrade. The disks are brand new (4x WD red 1TB) and are perfectly in shape. Obviously I will move these disks into the new NAS. Is there a way to do this without loosing the data that is on the disks?
I never reckoned with the power supply failing, a lot of the data is backed up but not all, another reason not wanting to loose the data (:()

Thanks for your advice!

Marc
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ (v1) died

Different RAID format so disks would need to be wiped.

When did you purchase the NV+? Is it still under warranty?

Is your serial in this range?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54911

It is possible to mount the array using an ordinary PC: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
Message 2 of 4
btaroli
Prodigy

Or simply find another NV+ v1...

I never really understood why there wasn't a well defined path for existing owners to migrate/upgrade disk sets without factory reset. Really paints people into corners.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Sparc devices use hardware accelerated RAID and a different RAID configuration to what is used on newer models. The block size of the volume is 16k (if last factory default was on RAIDiator 4.x). There's also the issue of the dedicated parity disk. If you have three working disks and one is the parity disk, how do you recover from that. Not to mention Flex-RAID using a different RAID configuration to X-RAID. Whilst it would be nice to be able to mount Sparc arrays on the newer models to recover data, getting this to work well for all users arrays is not as simple as you might think. Even then you would need to backup your data, do a factory reset then restore data from backup.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements