× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ won't write

nglshmn
Tutor

NV+ won't write

I am having problems with my NV+.

It reads with acceptable performance, but whenever I try to write files to it, it disconnects itself from the network and becomes a 'resource not found".

I've tried straight Windows 7 and 8 files transfers (SMB), the Microsoft Rich Copy client, Treesize Professional and Sync Toy. All use SMB as far as I know and none work properly.

Using backup via the front ISB port works fine, so I don't think it's a disk subsystem issue, I think it's a network one.

I have recently tried turning on Jumbo frames, but that has made no difference.

Files are a mixture of small (mp3) and very large (Movies) and in-between (executables), and none work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ won't write

Some logs e.g. /var/log/syslog had grown very big. The OS partition wasn't full but the size of logs such as syslog could well have been an issue.
Message 2 of 4
nglshmn
Tutor

I've mapped the Hostname in Windows via SMB. Same as my other NAS, which works OK. I can try mapping via IP, but the truth is that I can see the shares just fine and can read from them, just not write to them in any sustained fashion.

I've ruled out there being a volume/share issue as I've managed to copy via a backup from the USB port.

I've ruled out there being a permissions problem as I am able to write individual files (at about 3-400 kb/s across a wireless connection).

I've not been able to rule out a Network problem as it only happens when writing across the network using an SMB mapping.

Also, it only happens when trying to 'bulk' write using a synchronization or copying tool, not individual files - however I'm trying to get a baseline copy of my other NAS on there as a backup.

The errors are always "network resource unavailable" or similar. It might be related to the speed/number of files being copied, which seems to take it off the network, or stop writing.

I've replaced the high ATA error rate drive as requested, but that has not solved the problem.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

See if connecting via I.P. makes any difference.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements