× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear NV+ Booting for 36 hours

TeMorituriNZ
Aspirant

Netgear NV+ Booting for 36 hours

Hi I have a 2009 ReadyNAS RND4000 NV+ which suddenly has hung itself on booting

Initially it would not show anything in the LCD and I had to phjysically unplug the power supply to get it to restart.

It wouldnt boot so I used the command to reinstall the OS

Now it starts up 4 green drive lights and a pulsating blue power light and intermittent light from ACT

I can see it on RAIDAR and it has a designated ip but I cannot log in to the front end

It got to the Checking FS and then stopped there for 22 hours before showing an additional "0%" but there it has sat for a further 14 hours with not even a single 1% change.

Suggestions please? Should I reboot and skip the file check? Should I remove the hard drives and try and boot the chassis ? Shouod I use USB to reformat ?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TeMorituriNZ
Aspirant

Re: Netgear NV+ Booting for 36 hours

Guys {elation},

I waited over 30 hours but the NAS just sat there with the LCD displaying booting so then I gave in and pulled the Drive in Bay 1. I repowered and it went through the same boot routine but then jumped into check FS and was at 5 % in just a few minutes. This morning when I came down the NAS had booted completely and advised me I was missing a drive which I have promptly replaced   Smiley Very Happy

RAIDar is showing me status and firmware (4.1.14)

Resynch is 5% advanced with a finish time in about 8 hours

Thank you all for the comments...they pointed the way and gave me the confidence to be patient.

It helped that nothing critical on the NAS had not been backed up so I wasnt stressing about loss ...but looking through the files I am glad I have them all back.

Thank you once again

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I'd try booting w/o the FS check.  If that works, back up the unit and do a factory reset/restore.

Also, check the SMART stats on the disks.

Message 2 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TeMorituriNZ,

You can try Skip Volume Check from the boot menu then once it allows you to access the FrontView, download the logs and check reallocated sector count and ATA errors. If you will be able to access the files. back up asap.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 12
TeMorituriNZ
Aspirant

Thanks...I decided to try the "skip volume check" option. The NAS would not soft power off so once again it was a hard power off event.

The system rebooted and can be detected by RAIDar which says :"system starting up" and it shows the 4 2Tb drives as "sleeping"

I am currently at 12 hours of "Booting..." on the LCD display. 4 green drive lights and a slowly pulsing blue power light ( sometimes it stays on  or off for about 30seconds as well) .The activity light flickers green  about every 22 to 30 seconds

I plan to give it 24 hours again before taking stock 

Most files on it are backed up and there is nothing critical which cannot be replaced stored on it...but I would still prefer to retrieve the data than do a reformat

Message 4 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi TeMorituriNZ,

Give it a little more time to complete the booting process. If this won't complete in the next several hours, download the latest RAIDar utility and try to download the system device logs? Lastly, can you confirm if you have executed properly the Skip Volume Check procedure?

Looking forward to your response. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 12
TeMorituriNZ
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thanks ..I will definitely give it at least 24 hours before looking at the situation again

RAIDar 6.1 is showing that it can detect the device but that is all. It will not permit other options like admin page or download logs . It wont even show the firmware

Is there another utility?

The skip volume check I used seemed to proceed without difficulty and it was definitely different from the "check FS" that popped up on the original boot :

To perform a skip volume check, tech support mode, memory test, TFTP boot, or USB boot:

1. Power off your system.
  2. Press and hold the Power button until all Disk LEDs flash the correct number of times, and then release the button. Check the table below for reference.

Systems with an LCD (NV+ v1) will also display the boot menu item text on the LCD at each stage.

Boot Menu ModeAction to select
    Skip volume checkPress the Power button and continue to press it for 5 seconds; release after all Disk LEDs flash 1 time.
Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The feature to download the logs using RAIDar is just for OS6 NAS units running recent firmware releases.

It could be hanging on a bad disk.

Message 7 of 12
TeMorituriNZ
Aspirant

I may be getting somewhere this time...now when I hover over the drives in RAIDar 6.1 The first drive says this :

Channel 1 WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1863GB;ATA Error Count :12 and just now the staus changed from Starting Up to "Healthy"...but the LCD just says "booting"

I take it I have a dead drive in Bay 1 and that is what is stopping it from completing its boot?

Should I pull  Drive 1 and see if it can complete a boot or should I just replace it? 

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When did you get those ATA errors? Was this disk installed before you updated to 4.1.7 (or later)?

Message 9 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi TeMorituriNZ,

I apologize for the wrong info I gave you previously about getting the logs. Anyhow, can you confirm if have 4 drives on your system? Did you also check the health of the rest of the drives?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
TeMorituriNZ
Aspirant

Guys {elation},

I waited over 30 hours but the NAS just sat there with the LCD displaying booting so then I gave in and pulled the Drive in Bay 1. I repowered and it went through the same boot routine but then jumped into check FS and was at 5 % in just a few minutes. This morning when I came down the NAS had booted completely and advised me I was missing a drive which I have promptly replaced   Smiley Very Happy

RAIDar is showing me status and firmware (4.1.14)

Resynch is 5% advanced with a finish time in about 8 hours

Thank you all for the comments...they pointed the way and gave me the confidence to be patient.

It helped that nothing critical on the NAS had not been backed up so I wasnt stressing about loss ...but looking through the files I am glad I have them all back.

Thank you once again

Message 11 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TeMorituriNZ,

I am glad you have the files back now. Just make sure you have full backup so that in case you get trouble like this or worse than this.

Please also click Accept Solution button on the post that you think helped you best to get this resolved.

Regards,

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements