× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New HDDs failing in Pro 2

StephenB
Guru

Re: New HDDs failing in Pro 2

@bgg1 wrote:
Any harm in trying (a) first (other than potentially wasting time)? 

As I tried to say, there is risk that the file corruption will result in issues later on, since it won't be fixed by the expansion process.

@bgg1 wrote:
Once I go through a clean install can I fix those 2TB drives and use them as additional internal storage or backup drives?

Yes, just reformat them.

Message 26 of 37
bgg1
Aspirant

Two (hopefully) final questions:

1. Any specific format to use for  the 3TB  drive when I put it internally,  or will it be reformated properly regardless when it goes back in the NAS.

2. Should  I upgrade the OS to 6 (currently 4.30), and if so, at what point?

Message 27 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@bgg1 wrote:

1. Any specific format to use for  the 3TB  drive when I put it internally,  or will it be reformated properly regardless when it goes back in the NAS.

The NAS needs to reformat it anyway.  If you do anything, unformat it (delete all volumes on the drive with windows disk manager).

@bgg1 wrote:

2. Should  I upgrade the OS to 6 (currently 4.30), and if so, at what point?

That is up to you - if you are interested in the feature set, it would be a reasonable time since you are doing a factory install anyway.  Do it after copying the data off (doing that upgrade with the first new 3 TB disk).  Then restore the data after the upgrade completes.

Message 28 of 37
bedlam1
Prodigy

I would upgrade to OS 6 since you have to rebuild anyway as it is more feature rich.

You ought to check your bios version and upgrade if necessary whilst on 4.2.30, there are some recent posts on how to to do this and upgrade to OS6

Message 29 of 37
bedlam1
Prodigy

This post may help Link it is for an Ultra but applies equally to a Pro Readynas, I updated my Pro 4 this way

Update the Bios first usung 4.2.30

Message 30 of 37
bgg1
Aspirant

I started the backup (it's really amazing how long it takes) to the 3TB internal drive. Interestingly, I just got an e-mail stating that the volume scan ran fine with no errors. This is with one of the original drives in the NAS. I thin i'll still do a complete reset, but I'm curious as to what may have changed to make things seem right again. By the way, in the 2-3 years i've had this NAS up and running with those disks I never had any disk error, SMART or otherwise.

Message 31 of 37
bgg1
Aspirant

I'm waffling regarding the upgrade, as I'm still under warranty for another year. If I upgrade and run into a problem down the line, can I downgrade and still be warranty eligible?

Message 32 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@bgg1 wrote:

I'm waffling regarding the upgrade, as I'm still under warranty for another year. If I upgrade and run into a problem down the line, can I downgrade and still be warranty eligible?

Upgrading should not effect the hardware warranty (since it doesn't change the hardware).  But yes, you can revert back to OS 4.2.

Message 33 of 37
bgg1
Aspirant

Just an interim update - backed up everything to the internal 3TB drive, and upgraded to OS6 with the other drive. Everything copied back. Next up adding the second drive back to the NAS next time I'm home. Thanks for all the help until now. I'll finalize and accept solution as soon as I finish and confirm that all working perfectly.
Message 34 of 37
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bgg1,

Thank you for the update. I will keep the thread open for you.

Regards,

Message 35 of 37
bgg1
Aspirant

Just a final note thanking the community and especially StephenB for the patience and solution (even if we couldn't figure out the cause of the problem). System is back up and running fine with the new 3TB drives, and running OS6. I'll likely be starting a couple of new threads for some advice on other aspects of disk maintenance, backup, etc.

Thanks again

Message 36 of 37
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bgg1,

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements