× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New drive fails to sync

rickw1
Aspirant

New drive fails to sync

Had a disk failure on my ReadyNAS Duo and decided to take the opportunity to upgrade from 1TB drives to 2TB. I looked up the compatibility list on chose two Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001.
Performing a hotplug with either drive gives the same result. They initialize, but fail to sync. History below;
---
Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 2.
If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead
[Wed Jan 1 17:40:20 EST 2014]
---
RAID sync started on volume C.
[Wed Jan 1 16:23:26 EST 2014]
---
Disk initialization successfully finished.
[Wed Jan 1 16:23:26 EST 2014]
---
Disk initialization started. The estimated time of completion is 17 hour(s) and 39 minute(s), at which time you will be notified via email. You can also check the progress in Frontview in the Volumes -> RAID Settings tab. Please do not shutdown the system while the initialization is in progress.
[Wed Jan 1 13:03:51 EST 2014]
---
Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 2.
[Wed Jan 1 13:03:49 EST 2014]
---

Any recommendations? :?
Message 1 of 31
StephenB
Guru

Re: New drive fails to sync

What firmware are you running?
Message 2 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043]
Message 3 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

Any recommendations? Please.
Message 4 of 31
StephenB
Guru

I'd check the SMART stats, and maybe also test the drives with seatools on a PC.

I'd also use the seagate download finder to see if the drives have up-to-date firmware.
Message 5 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

Checked one drive so far;
Seatools reports "Long Generic - Pass 1/7/2014 7:47:41 PM"
Download Finder reports "No Newer Firmware Available"
RAIDiator status "Dead"

Where do I go now?
Message 6 of 31
StephenB
Guru

I'd scan the other one too. And look at the SMART stats.

Alternatively exchange them for ST2000VN000 or WD20EFRX.
Message 7 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

OK, I’ve checked the second drive and come up with the same result (seatools pass).
Sorry StephenB I’m a bit new to this, but do you mean the “SMART stats” from seatools?
Anyway I’ve come to the conclusion I won’t be able to hotswap these drives (they initialize, but won’t sync) and can’t return them as they appear to be fine.

I’m assuming my next option is to perform an up to date backup, put the two new drives in and restore my data. Is it as simple as this?
Message 8 of 31
StephenB
Guru

SMART stats are kept in the drive itself -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. Several tools let you see them (but I don't think Seatools is one of them!). The NAS will show them to you, as will Acronis Disk Monitor (on a PC).

reallocated sectors and pending sectors are two of the more useful stats.

You could make a backup, do a factory reset with the new drives in place, and then restore. It is possible that the sync problem will also interfere with the reset though.

Label your existing disks by slot, as you can reinsert them both (with the NAS powered down) if you want to go back to your current state.
Message 9 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

I’m currently performing an up-to-date backup getting ready for the new drives.
I like the idea of being able to go back to my current state. So even after a factory reset with the new drives the old drive would retain all configurations (i.e. shares, users, add-on’s, etc). All I need to do is cold boot with the old drive in the correct bay. Is this correct?
When performing a factory reset with the new drives in place I assume it initializes the drives. Once I restore from the backup will it put back all configurations from the bakcup (i.e. shares, users, add-on’s, etc)?
Sorry for the novice questions. Just wanting to understand how it works.
Message 10 of 31
StephenB
Guru

Cold booting with the original drives in place is all you need to do to go back to the current state.

With the new drives:
(a) save the old config to your PC.
(b) note any add-ons that were installed
(c) do the factory reset
(d) re-install add-ons
(e) re-load the config
(f) restore the data.

The order does matter, you need to reinstall add-ons before restoring the configuration file.
Message 11 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I'm currently restoring data (onto my 3rd share).
I'm a bit confused about restoring user data (i.e. access to the home shares)
I have an "All Home Shares" as a source, but not a destination.
Message 12 of 31
StephenB
Guru

It would be easier if Netgear made that symmetric. It's even worse for volumes (also sources but not destinations).

This is a USB backup drive? What format did you pick?
Message 13 of 31
rickw1
Aspirant

Yes, it's a USB drive with filesystem EXT3.
Referencing the USB is easy. It shows up as "Share: USB_HDD_?" and I just reference the path in the path field.
Home shares seem to be a bit flaky (I've got 3 out of 4 shares going on my windows PC). The shares don't appear until I've made a change to the user account and logged into that account. The last one is password protected so I can't log in.

This brings up another question. How do you sync a windows and readynas user password?
Message 14 of 31
StephenB
Guru

basically you need to set the two passwords to be the same.

You should be able to see the USB drive file system as admin - if so, copying the files on the NAS might be easier and would avoid the password challenge.
Message 15 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNas Duo who's original drive just died (like yours). I also bought the same model Seagate in a 2tb as an upgrade. When I received it and installed, it initialized, synced and mounted. Frontview said all was good and the drive was redundant. All was good until I actually wrote to the drive. As soon as I did I got a message:

"Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 1. If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead"

At this point I assumed the drive was in fact no good (saw plenty of reviews that had some DOA's). I in fact hooked it up through one of those "swiss army" type of USB adapters and confirmed it did not mount to my computer. I then made arrangements for an exchange.
I received in 2 days a replacement drive. Went through the same motions and got the exact same result. Initialized, synced and then failed when trying to write. The interesting thing this time (which I didn't try with the first one) is that when I removed the drive and re-installed it, the ReadyNas recognized it and initialized and synced again. Of course it once again failed when trying to write.
That is where I'm at right now. Very similar situation.

My firmware is actually out of date [4.1.8]. I wonder if your upgraded firmware doesn't allow you to even sync? I contacted Netgear before I bought this drive to make sure it was compatible since it wasn't on their list. They gave me the OK, but now I wonder.
Message 16 of 31
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What model SeaGate 2TB disk is this?
Message 17 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
Message 18 of 31
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps try a different model disk e.g. SeaGate NAS or WD RED and see if you still get the same issue?
Message 19 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

I have now removed and installed the drive a third time. It has initialized, synced and been up and running for 24hrs now.
Don't know what to make of it now.

(Sorry to the OP, not meaning to hijack thread :oops: )
Message 20 of 31
IanWilson
Aspirant

Just read this and it crossed my mind - if the drives are being put into the same slot in the NAS - could this be a hardware / SATA issue ?
Message 21 of 31
StephenB
Guru

quattrose wrote:
...(Sorry to the OP, not meaning to hijack thread :oops: )
The original thread was a year old, so no confusion resulted.

IanWilson wrote:
Just read this and it crossed my mind - if the drives are being put into the same slot in the NAS - could this be a hardware / SATA issue ?
Yes that is (was?) a possibility. It is also possible that the drive tray wasn't fully seated for some reason (resulting in an unstable connection for power and/or data).

In any event, I'd keep a close watch on it (and I strongly suggest maintaining good backups of the volume).

After updating the backup, I'd upgrade the firmware to 4.1.14, since there are some major security fixes that have been made since 4.1.8 was released in 2011.
Message 22 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
quattrose wrote:
...(Sorry to the OP, not meaning to hijack thread :oops: )
StephenB wrote:
The original thread was a year old, so no confusion resulted.

Good Lord, I still haven't gotten used to 2015! The emoji still applies! :oops:

IanWilson wrote:
StephenB wrote:
Yes that is (was?) a possibility. It is also possible that the drive tray wasn't fully seated for some reason (resulting in an unstable connection for power and/or data).

Yes, this thought crossed my mind as well. Since it's been operating now for going on 2 days, I hope the problem was the latter.

StephenB wrote:
In any event, I'd keep a close watch on it (and I strongly suggest maintaining good backups of the volume).

After updating the backup, I'd upgrade the firmware to 4.1.14, since there are some major security fixes that have been made since 4.1.8 was released in 2011.

Yes, tried to do this last night but the download seemed to crap out halfway through. Will try again tonight.
Message 23 of 31
quattrose
Aspirant

Update -
Well, the drive was ok. I had copied a couple of folders on to the NAS after it was installed (Monday night) and had no problems.
Then last night(Wednesday) I used the NAS, which store all of my music, to stream to my Logitech Duet. As soon as I accessed the folders with my music I got the same drive failure message.

"Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 1. If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead"

I am still able to use the NAS with the primary drive in bay 2. i think I have to assume this is just another flaky Seagate drive or that it is in fact not compatible with the NAS and I was misinformed. I guess I will return and try a different model drive.
Message 24 of 31
StephenB
Guru

There are options - one is that the chassis has become flaky, the second is that the drive model isn't that compatible. The Seagate DM drive isn't that well suited for NAS, but multiple drive failures doesn't seem that likely.

You could power down the NAS and move the WD drive to slot one. Then power up, and hot-insert the seagate into slot 2. It should then resync. If its the drive, then the SATA problem should move to channel 2.

If you do get another model, I suggest the WD20EFRX (not another WD Blue drive).
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements