× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New to the Readynas

Dalern
Aspirant

New to the Readynas

Hi

First of all i am from norway so sorry for my english.

Got my ReadyNas Duo (2x1tb) yesterday. Want to use it in my home. Backup pictures and videoes.
I also wanted to use the Bittorrent that came with it. But that seems to be a no go, since torrents use magnet link.

First of all. Getting it online, so i can log on to it from anyware. Do you have to use Netgears Remote or is it a better way.
Had a synology, and i must admit i find that more easy to use then this. But i wanted to try something new.

How about torrents, what addon do i use when bittorrent wont work?

When it comes to backup, do every computer need to have Netgears Raidar?

i feel completely lost with this nas.Lol. So if i dont get it up the next few days i will have to go back to Synology

Dalern
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: New to the Readynas

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a Duo V1. Are you running 4.1.x firmware?

-You can log in remotely without using ReadyNAS Remote by using either FTP or HTTPS - though you do need to forward ports in your router. I have both enabled, but I prefer using FileZilla FTP (explicit FTP over TLS works). I also use dynamic DNS, so I can connect by name, and don't need to worry about my ISP changing my IP address.

-You don't need Raidar to do backup. I have it installed on two of my PCs, but not on the other two. I almost never use it, usually I manage the NAS by browsing to https://nasname/admin. For PC backup, I use Acronis (which I used before I had a NAS). The PCs wake up on schedule, and do image backups to a share on the NAS.

You can also use the Duo for your primary storage of photos and videos, and back them up to a shared folder on your PC.

I don't do torrents with my NAS, so I can't help you there.
Message 2 of 5
Dalern
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a Duo V1. Are you running 4.1.x firmware?

-You can log in remotely without using ReadyNAS Remote by using either FTP or HTTPS - though you do need to forward ports in your router. I have both enabled, but I prefer using FileZilla FTP (explicit FTP over TLS works). I also use dynamic DNS, so I can connect by name, and don't need to worry about my ISP changing my IP address.

-You don't need Raidar to do backup. I have it installed on two of my PCs, but not on the other two. I almost never use it, usually I manage the NAS by browsing to https://nasname/admin. For PC backup, I use Acronis (which I used before I had a NAS). The PCs wake up on schedule, and do image backups to a share on the NAS.

You can also use the Duo for your primary storage of photos and videos, and back them up to a shared folder on your PC.

I don't do torrents with my NAS, so I can't help you there.

Thanks. i will try that. I figured i try asking here. never ever feelt so lost trying to set up my nas. lol.
My duo runs RAIDiator 4.1.8. If its a Duo V1 i dont know.whats the difference?

i will try the nas out some more.

Dal
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You have a V1. The V2 was released last fall - it is much faster, has a new/easier UI, but has fewer features right now (and some bugs that need to be sorted).

If you just bought the V1, you should check it out - you might be able to do an exchange. The manual can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... Nov711.pdf

Note I do not own a V2, but I am sure other folks here can answer any questions about it you might have.
Message 4 of 5
Dalern
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You have a V1. The V2 was released last fall - it is much faster, has a new/easier UI, but has fewer features right now (and some bugs that need to be sorted).

If you just bought the V1, you should check it out - you might be able to do an exchange. The manual can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/UM/RAIDiator5-3_Home_SW_en_Nov711.pdf

Note I do not own a V2, but I am sure other folks here can answer any questions about it you might have.

yup.its det V1 i got. maby i should then

Dal
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements