× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Newbie question - correct way to upgrade drive in Duo v2

StephenB
Guru

Re: Newbie question - correct way to upgrade drive in Duo v2

I'd create a new share with a different name on volume D (from the UI), and then move the contents of your temporary folder into it with ssh. Then delete the temporary folder. This move will go a lot faster (it will be a true move, not copy/delete).

Note that even though C and D are different volumes, you cannot have a shared folder on D which has the same name as a shared folder on C.
Message 26 of 29
Morelli1
Aspirant

StephenB thanks for taking the trouble to respond.
I have replaced the d drive. I would like to move the Temp folder which is now on NAS c drive to a USB (the old d drive). Which would be quicker, run the move with the USB connected to the NAS or the PC. (I would like to avoid the need to run via the slow network if possible.)
More importantly, mindful of your and fastfwd comments about Linux and me :roll: I would welcome some further advice as to the exact command to use to achieve this. Temp is the folder name (I want to include all sub-folders and files) on NAS c root and the destination would be the USB recognised by Windows as "usb_hdd_4". Grateful for any guidance as to whether the following is anywhere near correct
mv /Temp usb_hdd_4/
Thanks for reading and any further assistance would be most welcome.
Regards
Morelli
Message 27 of 29
StephenB
Guru

On a duo V2, copying to a local USB drive is faster than copying over a fast ethernet (100 mbit) network. It is slower than copying over a gigabit network.
BTW, "copying over the network" means connecting the USB drive to your PC and copying from the NAS to the drive.

Either way, I would copy the folder, and not move it. After the copy completes, you can delete the temp folder. Then if something goes wrong, you still have a full copy of the folder.

I'd also try the web UI backup method (if you go with connecting the drive to the NAS).
Message 28 of 29
Morelli1
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification. USB is attached to the Duo v2.
As the Temp folder is shown as empty in the Dashboard (UI?) then I guess the only way to successfully complete a transfer safely would be the copy via Putty to the USB. And this of course is where I am unclear as to the correct commend line. So the folder is ‘Temp’ and the destination is the USB attached to the Duo v2 'USB_HDD_4' :-
cp /Temp USB_HDD_4/
Any help here would be appreciated.
Regards
Morelli
Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements