× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No LAN access and exit error do_exit+890 error RN21400

ozziweb
Aspirant

No LAN access and exit error do_exit+890 error RN21400

Hi team

I have had this unit for around 3 months now with no problems. Recently it has dropped off our network. I  have tried new LAN cables, different ports on the router, and direct connecting to my laptop. In all instances we get no green and orange flashing lights from the port

On reboot I get this error do_exit+890, however if I disconnect from the power and reconnect the unit boots up fine.

Any ideas?

TIA 

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: No LAN access and exit error do_exit+890 error RN21400

So if you turn it off via the GUI, on a schedule, or with the button, it won't re-boot properly; but if you pull the power (after powering down?) and re-connect it, then it will?

The LAN internal circuitry is powered by +5VSB (5 volt standby), which is separate from the normal 5V and stays on even when the NAS is off.  So if I'm interpreting your description correctly, then you are killing and restoring the input 12V and thus +5VSB derrived internally from it, which will fully reset the internal power converter and LAN subsystem in the NAS.  Unfortunately, that probably points to a hardware problem.  If WoL is enabled (and support for WoL is why the LAN subsystem is always powered), you can try disabling it and see if that fixes it.  But it will likely be temporary.

Has the NAS ever been exposed to a high temperature when plugged in, even if off?  Since the fan isn't runing but some circuitry is, that can be a cause of this type of failure.

Message 2 of 7
ozziweb
Aspirant

That correct, it wont power down normally the screen displays the do_exit+89o error.

However if power is disconnected it boots up fine.

Its currently set to always on and the fan is constantly running. I live in QLD it is hot here but nothing over 35 degrees air temp.

I guess there must be an issue with the hardware then?

If I can not connect to it via ethernet cable is there another way I can connect to it to try and change settings? (ie WOL)

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ozziweb wrote:

I guess there must be an issue with the hardware then?

It sounds like it. If the NAS is under warranty (3 years for original purchaser) you could pursue an RMA.

If you need more proof, you could try doing a fresh install on a spare disk (not in the array), and see if it behaves the same way.  Power down, and remove the existing disks (labeling by slot so you can put them back in the right place).  Then do the install on the fresh disk.

Afterwards, just power down again and restore the original disks to their proper slots.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You didn't actually say you tried the other Ethernet port on the NAS.  If you didn't, do try that, though I doubt it will work unless it will also boot fine with the EWthernet completely disconnected.  It's probably a single dual-channel tranceiver (I've never opened a 214, but others I've opened are), so a problem on one often affects the other as well.  And I suspect the NAS can't even initialize it, which isn't typically port dependent.  But it's worth a shot.

There is no easy way to get data off the NAS once you lose internet access.  You can copy it via any of the backup protocols, drag-and-drop, or even to a USB drive in SSH, but all of those require Ethernet access to at least initiate them unless you already have a backup defined that will do it automatically or based on the Backup button.  And then the backup job would have to be to USB.  I believe it is possible to use the built-in console to do CLI commands where you could copy to USB, but that's not well documented and needs special cabling.

Your better option would be moving the array to a replacement ReadyNAS.  Aleternately, you could use a generic Linux system with MDADM and BTRFS installed or recovery software run on a PC.  The latter two requiire you connect at least 3 of your 4 drives (all 4 is best) to a PC, so a replacement NAS is easiest.

And, of course, having a current backup reduces the concern if you can't recover data from the NAS.  It will run even if you lose access, so if it's to USB you can just wait until it does so automatically or do it with the backup button and know you have everything.

WoL is just "Wake on LAN", a remote way to power on the NAS, it's not a protocol or separate interface.  I don't think it's on by default, so it's probably not on on yours since you apparently don't use it.

Message 5 of 7
ozziweb
Aspirant

thanks for the assistance

I did try the other port

Its only 6 months old or so, so I will follow up with a warranty return.

I can just remove the drives and label them in order and put them in the new unit when I get it I guess.

Cheers

richard

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@ozziweb wrote:

I can just remove the drives and label them in order and put them in the new unit when I get it I guess.

Yes.  Not said but probably meant: all with power off.

It is also best if you can bring the new NAS chassis up to the same OS version as is on your drives.  You would do that using a spare drive you don't mind gets the content wipeed.  Put it in the NAS first, let it build a system, then update to the version on your old one.

It's not supposed to be necessary, but it's a decent precaution.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements