× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No volume exists after device restart

stretchy
Aspirant

No volume exists after device restart

Hello,

I bought two used ReadyNAS devices with four 3TB disks in each. I have completed Factory Resets on both and selected Raid5 as my setup choice.  The system does it's thing, prompts me for all the setup wizard type stuff, then proceeds to resync the empty drives.  After many hours the web console indicates the 8.1TB volume is 'redundant'.  I can access shares and I can write to the NAS.  As soon as there is a reboot, the volume disappears (on both NAS devices).

I cannot get Netgear support as these two devices have been previously registered.

I have tried using the default Netgear NAS setup and it still doesn't work.  Here is the most recent 'info' :

Tue May 17 08:57:37 EDT 2016   System is up.
Tue May 17 08:57:37 EDT 2016   The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.

media
   backup

Tue May 17 08:56:50 EDT 2016   Volume scan failed to run properly.  <-- rebooted device here for test
Tue May 17 07:05:59 EDT 2016   RAID sync finished on volume C.
Mon May 16 15:45:20 EDT 2016   Alert settings saved.
Mon May 16 15:45:19 EDT 2016   Alert contact(s) saved.
Mon May 16 15:41:21 PDT 2016   System is up.
Mon May 16 15:36:54 PDT 2016   Successfully installed ReadyNAS Photos II addon package (version: 1.0.6)

This has been a few weeks now trying to see what configuration would fix this, but nothing has worked to date. 

Netgear Support, can you please provide assistance with re-registering this product for support?

Stretchy

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: No volume exists after device restart

Hello stretchy,

Welcome to the community!

What is the model number of the ReadyNAS units you bought?

What is the FW version?

The model number and brand name of the disks?

Are you getting the same problem on both NAS units? You might want to factory resetting the two ReadyNAS units with the disks in (since I presume all these disks came in with no important files to keep) so NAS units will format them.

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
stretchy
Aspirant

Hi and thank you for the reply.

Both NAS are identical (Model, FW and disks)

Model: ReadyNAS NV+ V2

Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.11

All disks are the same:

Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Model: ST3000DM001

I have run a factory reset multiple times on each.  Trying different Raid configurations during each setup.  Each time it reports 'redundant' after several hours of 'recovery'.  I can read and write to the shares, in fact I copied a few gigs a data to be sure.  As soon as the NAS is rebooted the volume disappears.

I am not the original owner so I am not able to register with Netgear, using the serial numbers, to get support on either of these.

I have already emailed the logs to the forum's recommended email address.

Regards,

Rick

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 3 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have any spare disks that you could insert and redo the factory reset, copy data, reboot routine?

Did you test all the disks with vendor tools? 

Are they in fact accessible when connected to a PC?

Message 4 of 11
stretchy
Aspirant

No spare disks to test with.

I have formated the disks using windows and copy data via USB and it is fine.  Data remains after removing USB plug and then pluggin it back in.

As for testing with vendor tools, no, not yet.

I want to focus on the NAS hardware not being the issue first as this seems to be the most likely of the scenarios.  This is probably why the person sold these units.

Rick  

Message 5 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello stretchy,

Check the disks with diagnostic tools first, I guess. It is unusual that you get the same problem on 2 different units. But it's possible that it is the reason why the previous owner sold them which is not really a good idea buying pre-owned unit, there is no guarantee it will work and no warranty from the manufacturer.

Regards,

Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stretchy wrote:

All disks are the same:

Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Model: ST3000DM001

Smiley Sad I wouldn't purchase that disk model. That is a terrible disk model, now known to have high failure rates.

Please test the disks using SeaTools as JennC suggested.

Message 7 of 11
stretchy
Aspirant

I didn't actually purchase them, the eight of them came with the units (four in each).  The units are used.  I am going to purchase four different ones and try them.

I can use one disk alone and the volume exists after every reboot.

Rick

Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs you sent show 2 of your disks dropped out of the array.

Message 9 of 11
stretchy
Aspirant

Excellent, thank you for the info.  Can you tell me which logs reports this?  I'd like to identify the disks.

I have now tested each disk as a single drive and the volume is retain on each disk when rebooted.  I will be testing with two disk next.  Luckily, I did not purchase these NAS devices (they are my neighbours) I am just tinkering for him.

Message 10 of 11
stretchy
Aspirant

Disregard the last request.  I found the logs.

Rick

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements