× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not quite sure how I did this? Would like to do it again..

DrRaven
Aspirant

Not quite sure how I did this? Would like to do it again..

Hello Everyone,

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ (Version 1) on which I have 2 x 2TB HDD's, configured separately as volumes (C: and E:) and 2 x 320 GB HDD's configured as a single RAID1 volume (D:).

I use 😧 for personal and important data, which I then backup externally. To do this I crated a share on the volume called Personal. I access this share via a mapped drive (P:\) from my desktop.

To help my wife out and ensure that her data was part of the backup, I created a folder on my Personalshare called WifesShare. Now this is the part I have forgotten how to do...but I seem to have done it somehow....on the NV+ I created a share on 😧 called WifesPersonal and somehow I targeted this to the WifesShare folder in my Personal share. My wife accesses this share from a mapped drive (P:\) from her laptop.

I am not sure quite how I did this...and I cant seem to repeat it.

Any thoughts or help?

Dr Raven.
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Not quite sure how I did this? Would like to do it again

You must have used ssh, as there is no way to do this via frontview.

One approach is to create the share normally, then go in with ssh. Then delete the underlying linux folder, and replace it with a link. I haven't tried that, but I believe it will work.

I don't use flexraid on the NV+. If you go to \\nasname with nas admin credentials, do you see all the volumes? Or just "c"? If you see them all, then there is no need for this tricky stuff. You could simply map \NasName\D to a drive letter, and back up the entire volume.
Message 2 of 8
DrRaven
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but I definitely did not use SSH. I am not so proficient with Linux/Unix. All my configuration was done under Windows and using the web browser for the NV+. Also I am not using Flexraid. The RAID1 I mention is the stock standard RAID technology.

DBR
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

flexraid just puts the RAID volume setup under your control (as opposed to the automatic mode in xraid) so your mix of jbod and raid-1 is certainly flexraid. You might not recall that name for it, but none-the-less that is what you are running.

Also, there is no way you could do exactly what you said using only Windows and the management web interface.

What you might done is allow your wife to mount \\NASNAME\personal\wifeshare on the PC. Or you could have set up a backup job on the NAS to copy the wifeshare share to \personal\wifeshare. Or mount the "D" volume for your backup, and not the personal share.

But none of those are quite what you said...
Message 4 of 8
DrRaven
Aspirant

Well....I can definitely say that I only used the web interface. This exactly my point....I don't know how I ended up in this situation.

DBR
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Have you double-checked that the two folders are actually one? That is, when you put something into \\nasname\personal\wifeshare, it also shows up instantly in \\nasname\wifeshare
Message 6 of 8
DrRaven
Aspirant

Yes. I have confirmed this. If I create a file on \\nasname\personal\wifeshare from the wifes computer...it will appear and is valid on \\nasname\wifeshare viewed on my computer. Thats what I find confusing. I dont know how I managed to target a folder as I seem to have done.
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Try saving the NAS configuration to your PC. Then look in the zip for shares.conf (it should be in \etc\frontview\samba). See if it has a section that starts with
[wifeshare]
path = /c/wersonal/wifeshare
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements