× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Odd connectivity issues

pete_admin
Aspirant

Odd connectivity issues

Hi,

I have a Readynas Duo v2 that has been fine for about a year. I don't know if this is coincidence or not but I changed the subnet mask on it on the 2nd Sept and noticed yesterday that I couldn't access Dashboard via browser.
The new subnet is correct before you jump on that as issue.

Now the shares are often unavailble as is the dashboard. But if I ping it i can then access the shares and dashboard. Pings always get replies.

When on site yesterday I rebooted it and could access shares, not dashboard, so I removed network cable, counted to 10, plugged back in and could access dashboard.
Today staff are complaining they can't access shares. If I connect to their PC and ping it they can then access shares for a few minutes and then it stops again.
If I ping from server I can then access dashboard. No errors are being logged that I can see.

Firmware = 5.3.7

I'm currently fixing it remotely, so please don't ask me to check cables, they haven't been touched for months (apart from yesterdays playing around).

I had an old Duo V1 that had a simialr issue, in the end I got fed up with unplugging / replugging network cable so I bought a V2, which now has same issue.
It has over 2TB of data on it, so no Factory Reset fixes please.

Any one got any proper fixes?

Thanks in advance

Pete
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Odd connectivity issues

On the old duo v1, the issue could have been a filling OS partition. That will create connection issues, and if unchecked it will brick the unit.

For the v2 its conceivable that is happening, though it would be a bit unusual for a unit that's only a year old, You can try deleting all logs (assuming you can reach the dashboard). I wouldn't try to download them, as if it is a filling OS partition, that can bring it over the top.

Or (probably better) you can contact netgear support, and have them take a look. Use the email support at support.netgear.com. The warranty for original owners of the v2 is 3 years.

Is there a reason you haven't upgraded to 5.3.10?
Message 2 of 11
pete_admin
Aspirant

I can currently access the dashboard, so I'll clear logs.
3 years support surprises me. I did try to register it earlier today but the site kept crashing, now I know I'll actually get support I'll try again.
Didn't know that an update was available until a few hours ago, been wondering if it's worth trying. I'd guess that'll be the first thing support ask me to do, so I will do that now and then if issue persists will log with support.
Thanks for the quick response
Message 3 of 11
pete_admin
Aspirant

Ok, logs cleared. There were hardly any, I could see them all without scrolling.
Update ran, it prompted for a reboot to complete update which I clicked yes on. I can now ping it and that is all. No share access and no dashboard.
Is there a way to restart it again via command promtp?
Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You don't have SSH access?

Does it show up in RAIDar on a PC that is on-site? If so, what do you see in the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?
Message 5 of 11
pete_admin
Aspirant

I've not used SSH before, i like my GUI's. It's alive again this morning anyway, with the upgraded firmware completed. Waiting for user feedback on share access.
Fingers crossed.
Message 6 of 11
pete_admin
Aspirant

NAS is accessible again, but original issue remains. Users can't access shares unless I ping NAS from their PC first, even then after a while it stops working.

Any more ideas?

Thanks
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

It sounds more like a network issue than a NAS issue to me.

What happens if you restore the original subnet mask?
Message 8 of 11
xeltros
Apprentice

Also seems like a network problem to me, unless there is something with the hard drives.
Do you have spin down set up ? I believe that both interface and share access require disks to spin up whereas ping just need the network card. So it could be a problem with that. It could also be a problem with timeouts while the NAS is under heavy load.

The obvious test would be to take the NAS for a spin on another network, but I believe this is a production machine and that you just can't get it off of the network for a few days. If you could I would suggest using another switch.

Can you isolate conditions where the problem is the most likely to happen ? An hour, a heavy load, something that binds the user (common subnet, common switch, an OS version...)

Can you describe a bit more your network architecture ?
I think you work for enterprise (because of the word staff), this raises a lot of questions for the network environment. For standard folks we usually assume a single wireless router, but here you are speaking of multiple subnets.
So the obvious question is how did you do your subnets ? classic VLan + static routing ? dynamic routing ? is there a firewall, IPS or anti ddos system that could flag the computers ? Do you have QoS ? How did you set the TCP sessions length/timeout ? How are your switch performance, is it overloaded ? Did you enable jumbo frames ?

That's a lot of question, I'm just trying to get the big picture to see what can affect the network connectivity and/or the NAS performance.
Message 9 of 11
pete_admin
Aspirant

Hi,
Update - did os reinstall but no change
Currently can ping from anywhere. Can access shares intermitently from my PC but not server. Can't get to dash from anywhere.

Network is global corp (not managed by me). Subnet change was done to whole site (not whole network), nothing else has had issues since then. If I put subnet back to original i'd probably loss connectivity, so won't try unless onsite.

RE: "So the obvious question is how did you do your subnets ? classic VLan + static routing ? dynamic routing ? is there a firewall, IPS or anti ddos system that could flag the computers ? Do you have QoS ? How did you set the TCP sessions length/timeout ? How are your switch performance, is it overloaded ? Did you enable jumbo frames ? "
I'll forward these to the networking guy, maybe he'll spot something.
It is looking likely that it is some network issue. I have another NAS (v1) that is fine, but that is hardly used, whereas the v2 with issue is used a lot, approx 35 PC upload call recording to it all day everyday plus supervisors access callls to listen, plus I do some backups to it every night. So it's pretty much constantly in use reading or writing.
The pattern at the moment is it works for a few minutes (when me or supervisors try to acess calls) then stops for a few hours, in the back ground though there will be the 35 pc's trying and failing (at the moment) all day.

No errors about disks, I do get email alerts is Smart error occur so don't think thats the issue

Will quiz networking team and come back. Thanks for help.
Message 10 of 11
xeltros
Apprentice

If you are on a different subnet than your gateway, you will lose connectivity for sure. So yes, better not trying before being on site.

35PC on an old NAS, that may be a little too much for it. Ping doesn't require resources (or so few) whereas dashboard and shares require CPU power, if the CPU is loaded new connections will timeout. Could you try dashboard when this is calm (After work hours or early the morning for example) ?

If you had a network engineer to do the work for you, he probably knows what he is doing. So I think questions about subnetting and routing can be dropped because if they were real problems here the whole network would have problems. Everything about filtering can be a problem as well as TCP tweaking. Jumbo Frames are never activated on en enterprise network (to my knowledge) because this requires too much config but you can check that the MTU is 1500 on the NAS.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements