× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Our latest ReadyNAS 424 has old SVN 1.6.12 APP

kristerhennings
Aspirant

Our latest ReadyNAS 424 has old SVN 1.6.12 APP

RN424 OS Version 6.10.3

How do I refresh the list of APPs availiable?

Subversion 1.6.12 (Monday, 21 June 2010): Bugfix release.

It's a disgrace to offer such old and unsecure APPs in the year 2020

Krister

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Our latest ReadyNAS 424 has old SVN 1.6.12 APP

Almost all the apps come from third parties, and not from Netgear.  Subversion came from a community member who is no longer active in these forums, and who has chosen to abandon it.  Unfortunately, this is generally the case - very few of the apps are up to date.  I agree this is not a good situation.

What you can do is attempt to update the old app after installation with apt-get (using ssh), or simply install it yourself with apt-get.  If you do use ssh, you should log in as root (not admin).  Also, be mindful of the small size of the OS partition (4 GB). A full OS partition can cause a lot of problems, including corrupting the NAS configuration files.

Netgear intends apps to be installed in /apps, which is a mount point for the data volume folder /data/.apps.  One simple option is to relocate any installed folders to /data/.apps (replacing them with soft links).

Another option is to take on the task of publishing updated apps - registering with Netgear, and making new versions of these apps available on Netgear's app store. Though that will only improve the current situation if you are committed to maintaining them.  Info on how to register with Netgear is here: https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=30

Message 2 of 3
kristerhennings
Aspirant

Re: Our latest ReadyNAS 424 has old SVN 1.6.12 APP

Thanks for the answer!

I intended to use the APP-solution mainly because I am not fluent in Linux any more to say the least.

Though I acctually reflected on installing and do the other things... I decided to let it go and install SVN for Windows instead. Not because it is the neat thing to do but because it saves my number one comodity, time.   

As for to contribute it would appeal to me bar the fact that I havent done any Linux or UNIX stunts for a very long time. 

Again, thanks for the prompt and filling answer 🙂

Krister

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements