× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Place folder/file in two shares?

Zoomink
Aspirant

Place folder/file in two shares?

Is is possible to place a folder/file in two shares? Let my try to explain...

I currently have two shares; backup and media. The media share is accessable using DLNA to other devices, e.g. my TV.

The problem I'm facing is that I'd like to backup some of the folders and files I have on the media share, i.e. placing them on the backup share.
Of course I could just place them on both shares, but that would mean that they'd take up twice the space.

So, is it possible to place a folder/file in one share (doesn't matter which I suppose) and then have it linked to the other share?

/ Andreas
Btw.. I'm using a NV+ v2 with RAIDiator 5.3.5.
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Place folder/file in two shares?

I am confused on your goal. If you actually want to back these folders up, then of course you need a separate copy - so you would need need twice the space. A link will not be useful for backup.

Backing up on the same device is of limited value - it protects against some user errors, but is not very effective at protecting against device failure. Your best approach for backup is to save the data on a physically separate device - a USB hard drive, or perhaps a PC or a second NAS.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements