× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powered Off NV+, Won't Power On

MikeH1
Tutor

Powered Off NV+, Won't Power On

I powered off my NV+ v3 a couple days ago. Tried powering it back on today, and nothing happens when I press the on button. No lights, no sounds, nothing.

It was running fine before the power-off. All the drives were running cool, and no errors had been reported.

And ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Mike
Message 1 of 8
MikeH1
Tutor

Re: Powered Off NV+, Won't Power On

NAS still dead. Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Is this the "Power Supply Issue"?

If the NAS is dead, what enclosure(s) are compatible so I don't lose my data? I've read that V1 and V2 are different OSs, but I haven't seen anything about V3.

Thanks,
Mike
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You have a v1 (all sparc platforms are v1, no matter what the label says).

If you purchased your NV+ around the date you owned the forum, then your system wouldn't be part of the PSU service action - that dates back to 2007. The link identifying affected systems is here: viewtopic.php?p=54911

It does sound like it could be a PSU failure though. There are still a few replacements PSUs out there, you can try googling "readynas replacement psu" or "RND4PSU1-10000S".

You could also contact Netgear Support. If you unit is out of warranty, you might still be able to purchase a service contract.
Message 3 of 8
MikeH1
Tutor

Thanks for the advice - I bought a replacement PS about a year ago as a just-in-case. I've already checked my S/N and it's out of range for the service action.

I thought I had read that the v1 & v2 NV+ had incompatible OS (with regard to swapping your existing HDs into a new enclosure)?

Thanks again,
Mike
Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

v1, v2, x86, and the new RNxxx products all have incompatible OS, and you cannot swap HDs between any of them.

The v3 label on your NAS does not mean what you are thinking it means. There are no v3 platforms. You have a v1 platform; the v3 indicates the hardware revision level not the platform itself. [Yes, we all agree it is confusing].

There is a guide here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

Anyway, try your PSU and see if that resolves it.
Message 5 of 8
MikeH1
Tutor

Stephen B:

Thanks for the link, that does clear up a lot of the confusion.

And, thanks for the help, my NAS is back up and running with the new PS!

And only 3 extra screws left over! (the faceplate of the new PS was bent in a little bit and only 1 of the screws would actually go in, but everything's secure).

One last question (probably), does NetGear refurbish power supplies, or should I just start shopping for a new one?

Thanks again,
Mike
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

AFAIK Netgear won't refurbish them.

You could look for a new PSU, or alternatively see if you can pick up a used chassis [might not be the PSU that fails next time].

Another approach is to get a new NAS in the future, and use your current box for backup.
Message 7 of 8
MikeH1
Tutor

Willdo, thanks!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements