× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro 6 Moving Gas Guage on Boot - Array Rebuild?

Pete_Mc
Aspirant

Pro 6 Moving Gas Guage on Boot - Array Rebuild?

I recently used the button to shut down the power on a Pro 6 running v6 firmware.  (Yea, forgot to do it though the web page...)

On startup I get "ReadyNAS" on the top line and on the second line a gas guage that builds from left to right and then repeats.  The device has been running for about 14 hours with no change.   

The device has not grabbed an IP Address, so I'm assuming it never started or completed the boot process.  But on the chance that the Array may be rebuilding, I don't want to stop it and go through this time again.  I'm tempted to shut it down again and restart to see what happens, but figued I'd let it run for a while and see if I get a response here. 

I'll restart without the drives to see if the chassis boots on it's own.  If it does come up, I'll shut down via the web interface and add the drives again and see what happens when I restart.

Model: RNDP6630D|ReadyNAS Pro 6 18TB (6 x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Pro 6 Moving Gas Guage on Boot - Array Rebuild?

Have you tried looking at the status with RAIDar?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 9
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Note that you won't have a GUI if you boot without disks as the OS is on the disks. 

Message 3 of 9
Pete_Mc
Aspirant

RAIDar is not an option...   No IP means no network.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Pete_Mc wrote:

RAIDar is not an option...   No IP means no network.

Try it anyway.  RAIDar uses ethernet broadcast to reach the NAS, and that can work even the NAS doesn't have a valid IP address assigned.

Message 5 of 9
Pete_Mc
Aspirant

Been tied up in a projet and never had a chance to get back here.  I tried RAIDar and there were no devices dectced as I expected.  I'm guessing the continual building blocks (gas guage) was the unit showing it couldn't load the firmware.  But so far I haven't found documentation of what it really meant.

I eventually did get the unit back up, but couldn't really tell you what did it.  Reseated the memory and checked everything I could, but nothing was loose or appeared broken.  With the drives out and after a few quick power cycles I got into Safe Mode, but that didn't tell me much.  Tried shutting down and installing the drives, but then nothing again for a while.  Evenutally I got back into Safe Mode with the drives installed.  RAIDar showed all the drives, but only option was to reformat and start from scratch.  It wasn't giving me any option to load from the drives.  Few more attempts at rebooting and power cycling and eventually the unit started booting normally.

Now the question is if I get another Pro 6 frame or move on to something totally different.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Pete_Mc wrote:

Now the question is if I get another Pro 6 frame or move on to something totally different.

You avoided the factory default (so you didn't need to reconfigure or restore data), correct?

If so, then download the log zip file and see if there are any hints in there on what happened.

Message 7 of 9
Pete_Mc
Aspirant

Logs don't really help.....

Sep 30, 2019 08:57:07 AM   System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

May 21, 2016 06:32:25 PM   System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

I'm going to guess the May 21, 2016 is when I actually got the system to boot with the drives.  Then when it completed the boot process it probably grabbed the correct date. 

I did also do a reboot after the system came up to see if it would do it.  Did really make a note of it, but do seem to remember having to reset the time zone, so the 8am entry being 11am seems to fit too.

But I'm guessing the logs are stored on the dirves, so no entries for the Safe Modes or other attempts to boot since they never mounted.  Would be nice to know what that "mode" was that the unit was stuck in.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Pete_Mc wrote:

But I'm guessing the logs are stored on the dirves, so no entries for the Safe Modes or other attempts to boot since they never mounted.  Would be nice to know what that "mode" was that the unit was stuck in.

The logs are stored in the OS partition on the drives.  But there could still be something reported there related to the original problem that resulted in the NAS not booting.

Are you looking at kernel.log and system.log in the log zip file?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements