× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro - Xraid 2 Not re-striping after 2 disk failures - 201078

mikebainbridge1
Aspirant

Pro - Xraid 2 Not re-striping after 2 disk failures - 201078

Hi all - looking for any help I can find as I've gone from being dual redundant to unprotected almost overnight and nothing seems to be making any difference.

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition [X-RAID2]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.22
Memory: 1024 MB [4-5-5-15 DDR2]
Volume C: Online, X-RAID2, 6 disks, 39% of 7413 GB used

The problem is that I had 2 disks fail almost simultaneously (1 and 6 in the array). All 6 disks are 2Tb. I replaced the disks with two ST32000542AS and got all the usual messages about them being processed in order and then nothing happened for a couple of days. Rebooted several times and just got the same testing on disk1 followed by 'will be used to rebuild' and then nothing more

So, having checked that I had a viable backup I cold replaced the Disk 1 with another disk - a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 and removed disk 6 at the same time. This made no difference. I note that on front panel the disks are displayed correctly - there is a cross on disk 6 but on the Frontview view the new disk 1 is still reported as the old one and so is disk6

Ch 1 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1863 GB] (This is actually the ST2000DM001 )
Ch 2 : Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 [1863 GB] 1858 GB allocated
Ch 3 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1863 GB] 1858 GB allocated
Ch 4 : Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 [1863 GB] 1858 GB allocated
Ch 5 : Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 [1863 GB] 1858 GB allocated
Ch 6 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1863 GB]

I've tried several reboots (with fingers crossed each time) and this results in the same thing as when I replaced the original disks. Disk 1 is tested twice and Frontview tells me that it's going to be used to rebuild the array. Then nothing happens. I've tested all 3 replacement disks with Seatools and all are OK and have no SMART triggers either.

I've unchecked 'disable journalling' in FV/System/ Performance
I've disabled 'spin down' in FV/Power

I've had a look at expansion.log and there does seem to be some attempts at getting the disk back up and running but it's not doing what it normally does at this point which is show progress on the front panel.

Any ideas how I might rebuild the array before something catastrophic happens would be greatly appreciated

Mike
Message 1 of 4
dcorum
Aspirant

Re: Pro - Xraid 2 Not re-striping after 2 disk failures - 20

Mike -

Were you able to resolve the issue of repeated messages of disk testing and 'will be used to rebuild' ? Were you able to get the NAS to re-sync? I have a similar issue occuring with my Pro unit...

Darryl
Message 2 of 4
Marto731
Aspirant

Daryl,
If you are in difficulties, then contact Tech support, especially if you cannot access
data.
I disagree with Mike above where 2 disks were changed at the same time.

We have had cases where 2 drives fail, and Volume is not accessible. Engineering in
these instances would suggest cloning the disk with largest error count.

Regards, Marto
Message 3 of 4
dcorum
Aspirant

Hi Marto -

Thanks for the advice. It may be some days before I can contact Tech support, that's why I am search through the forums looking for similar incidents. I've replaced one drive, but no re-sync is occurring - just looping through disk testing and volume will be rebuilt messages: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=68984.

Darryl
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements