× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem booting ReadyNAS NV after IP address change to DHCP

plauterbach
Aspirant

Problem booting ReadyNAS NV after IP address change to DHCP

I have a ReadyNAS NV that has been running fine. However, I today changed from a hard coded IP address on an old subnet, to DHCP. It gave me a warning about not being able to access when the IP changes. I have tried both the old address, nothing there? My DHCP server has not handed out a new address for the ReadyNAS either.

Now I cannot access the box, and when it boots, it goes through the boot process, and the power light stays on steady blue. However, there is no disk or network activity light. I think this means it booted OK, but cannot connect to tell.

I am sniffing the ethernet cable right off the NV, and there is NOTHING coming off the box, no ARP, no DHCP requests, no broadcasts of any kind!!! Very Odd.

I have tried the USB boot, but it gave the blinking pattern that the firmware that says:
"RAIDiator image does not match NAS platform, contact tech support to convert OEM NAS to ReadyNAS."

Please advise how I can get the network access back up to my box. I have power cycled it a few times, and it still ends up in the same state.
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problem booting ReadyNAS NV after IP address change to D

Try RAIDar, and see if it sees the NAS and if so, what IP address it reports.

Also, then DHCP fails, the NAS should switch to address 192.168.168.168. So you could also try a direct connect, manually ssigning your PC a compatible address (192.168.168.100, subnet 255.255.255.0).

You can also try an OS reinstall. That will reset your admin password back to the original factory default, (not sure what that would be for your model), and also reset the IP configuration.
Message 2 of 13
plauterbach
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

StephenB wrote:
Try RAIDar, and see if it sees the NAS and if so, what IP address it reports.

RAIDar does not see the ReadyNAS. It keeps coming up with the 'RAIDar Help ' dialog box, instead of the details of the unit.

StephenB wrote:
Also, then DHCP fails, the NAS should switch to address 192.168.168.168. So you could also try a direct connect, manually ssigning your PC a compatible address (192.168.168.100, subnet 255.255.255.0).

This is how I have been connecting to the box, with a direct cable between my Mac and ReadyNAS. This is how I also know that there are NO packets coming off the ReadyNAS. Wireshark will see ANY network acticity, regardless of what the Mac IP is. I did change the Mac IP to 192.168.168.167, and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, but could not ping, or get the admin page up. When the IP address was set to static (1921.68.2.2), I could see packets with Wireshark just fine.

StephenB wrote:
You can also try an OS reinstall. That will reset your admin password back to the original factory default, (not sure what that would be for your model), and also reset the IP configuration.

I tried holding the 'SYS RST' button on the back for up to 10 seconds, hoping to start an OS reinstall. No luck. No blinking lights, or activity of any kind (disk or net), either on the front panel, or the network.

How can I reinstall the OS, without doing a full systems reset? (even if that would work).
Is there a USB option for this model?
The disk and the data seem fine, seeing as the box was working fine and serving data, until I reset the IP address.
Message 3 of 13
plauterbach
Aspirant

OK, getting a little better.

I was trying the "SYS RST" from the powered-on state, and it was not responding. I powered the unit off, and did the same thing, letting go of the "SYS RST" button after the 5-second blink.

It starting to do some stuff, but now it is in a state of the blue power light pulsing, all by itself, with no other lights on. This code is not on the LED cheat sheet.

No network activity either.

Next steps?
Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Boot menu instructions are here: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... _boot_menu (scroll down to Duo / NV / NV+ / X6/600)

If you have a scratch disk you could try removing all disks (power down first), and see if it comes up properly with a new install. That would at least give you assurance the the NAS hasn't failed.
Message 5 of 13
plauterbach
Aspirant

How do I get an image that will boot my NV? The only one I found was here:
http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_can_i_perform_a_boot_recovery_using_a_usb_flash_device
http://www.readynas.com/download/support/ReadyNAS_USB_Flash_Recovery-4.1.10.img

I have tried the USB boot, but it gave the blinking pattern that the firmware that says:
"RAIDiator image does not match NAS platform, contact tech support to convert OEM NAS to ReadyNAS."

Is my old NV Sparc, or something else?

I can try and scrounge up an old disk, and will try a fresh install.
Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

NV's are Sparc platforms. I'm not sure why you are getting that error message.
Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That error suggests that there may be a problem with the VPD.
Message 8 of 13
plauterbach
Aspirant

OK, we are getting closer. I tried a different USB stick, and was able to do a recovery image load. After the unit powered off, it still would only boot to the 'pulsing' blue light, with no network activity.
I am now trying an 'OS reinstall', that still only lead to the 'pulsing' blue light.
I guess the next thing to try is the 'remove one disk at a time, and boot' trick.
Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree that is possible that it is hanging on a bad disk. That would probably be more likely than other problems.

Once you have your system back up and running it would be nice to have a look at your boot_info.log as that should confirm if the VPD is fine or not.
Message 10 of 13
plauterbach
Aspirant

Well, the "remove one disk at a time, and boot" yielded four pulsating blue power buttons.
Gonna have to find a spare disk to try a fresh install tomorrow.

Thanks, StephenB, and mdvm.
Message 11 of 13
plauterbach
Aspirant

OK, one last test.
Removed all the drives from the NV. Powered it on. Still getting the pulsing blue power buton, but now RAIDar can see the NV @ 192.168.168.168 !

What does this mean? Should I still try the fresh install on a new disk?
Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

plauterbach wrote:
OK, one last test.
Removed all the drives from the NV. Powered it on. Still getting the pulsing blue power buton, but now RAIDar can see the NV @ 192.168.168.168 !

What does this mean? Should I still try the fresh install on a new disk?
Yes, please do try the fresh install.

The NAS won't fully boot w/o disks (hence the pulsing button). RAIDar seeing the NAS w/o disks adds more weight to the idea that this is a disk issue.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements