× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems in upgrading DUO to 2x2TB drives

loph88
Follower

Problems in upgrading DUO to 2x2TB drives

Hi all,
Have been running the DUO for past 2-3 years without much problems. In fact, it was the fuss-free way that I managed to upgrade 2x500GB HDDs to 2x1TB HDDs that prompted me to buy new 2xTB HDDs, after getting error messages on re-allocated sector count in the HDDs. All HDDs are from Seagate & on the HCL. Unfortunately, this time round not so lucky for me & Netgear support have not replied after 3 days. This is what happened.....

1) Pulled out Drive 2 (the old 1TB HDD) & put in the new 2TB HDD.
2) Got the usual messages about HDD being pulled out from FrontView. In addition, got the following message:
A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime.
3) I was not able to perform the volume resync from FrontView as the options were grayed out.
4) After 24 hours and nothing seem to be happening (except for the blinking light for Drive 2), I started to panick & bought a new 2TB USB HDD.
5) Plugged this into my iMac directly and tried to copy the files from the DUO to this new USB HDD. Tried twice but both times it died halfway. Unfortunately, did not take down the error message.
6) Now, the connection to the DUO is lost as well. From Finder (Mac OS), it says that the connection failed.

Would like to check with the gurus here if I can do the following.......
1) Power off the DUO.
2) Pull out the 2TB drive & re-insert the original 1TB drive.
3) Power on the DUO.

or maybe take the original 1TB drive, plugged it into a USB casing, & plugged it into the iMac. Will Mac OS (Snow Leopard) be able to read the drive?

At this point in time, I just want to retrieve my files. Getting the 2TB drives to work on the DUO is secondary.

Any help or ideas is very greatly greatly appreciated!!!!

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. YES, I should have had a backup - lesson painfully learnt!

Thank you very much in advance,
PH
Message 1 of 2
de_niro
Guide

Re: Problems in upgrading DUO to 2x2TB drives

Not sure if MAC OS can read your original 1T drive,I'm not recommend you try this method.

have you tried booting up your nas with your old 1T drive?if yes,just pull all data out of NAS.

what is firmware are you using?if you want to upgrade to 2T HD,Raidiator 4.1.7 would be great to support them.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements