× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems opening files on NAS in Word from OS X

olavlind
Aspirant

Problems opening files on NAS in Word from OS X

Hi,

We recently changed from ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to ReadyNAS 316.
I Set up a backup job on the 316 to pull all data from the Ultra 4 using NFS protocol.
After changing over, pointing all users to the 316 file system so they can work on their
files, I seem to have problems opening files from my iMac running OS X Mavericks.

Word, Excel etc. seem to have file access problems opening the files.

When I double click on a word file I get the message

"The application "Microsoft Word.app" cannot be opened -36"
Same with Excel...

I am the only one running MAC, all other users have either Win XP or Win 7.
They don't have any issues as far as I know...

What's up?

Edit: I have also experienced other problems related to this...
When trying to store attachments directly from mail to a directory on the share,
I get a message saying "you do not have permission for this".

Sometimes when I try to open a folder the folder seems to be empty.
Other times the folder symbols dissapear from the folder list window
and the folder cannot be opened.

The shared folder in question has SMB, AFP and NFS enabled.

We also have no users defined, everyone should be allowed to do everything.

~Olav
Message 1 of 10
de_niro
Guide

Re: Problems opening files on NAS in Word from OS X

how do you access the documents?via Samba or AFP?in OS6 you might need to change Samba version by installing SMB plus addon,the default version is 3.0 in OS6.
Message 2 of 10
xeltros
Apprentice

"The application "Microsoft Word.app"

It seems the application itself have a problem. At least that's what I understand, can you open documents locally ?

For mail it's definitively making me think of a right problem, check both share and system rights of the NAS. Try to reset system rights if you haven't done specific configuration via SSH.
Message 3 of 10
olavlind
Aspirant

Right clicking over the shared folder in Apple Finder says "Format: SMB (unknown)"
Will installing SMB plus fix the permissions problem on OS X Mavericks and the other things?
Message 4 of 10
xeltros
Apprentice

I'm on mavericks 10.9.1, with RN104 with 6.1.6RC10. So my setup is quite similar to yours except I have an ARM CPU and I have no problem. I checked with AFP (my default since I have a Mac) and SMB and both work flawlessly with .docx files.
So I think SMBplus won't do anything and depending on the windows versions you use downgrading smb protocol mays not be a good idea.

Can you try with AFP, with a document you know is opened by you mac locally ? As I said earlier I think the message said it couldn't open word, not that word couldn't open the file.
Message 5 of 10
olavlind
Aspirant

xeltros wrote:
"The application "Microsoft Word.app"

It seems the application itself have a problem. At least that's what I understand, can you open documents locally ?

For mail it's definitively making me think of a right problem, check both share and system rights of the NAS. Try to reset system rights if you haven't done specific configuration via SSH.

No problems using any of the programs locally. It is only access to the NAS 316 that is a problem. Opening the same file from the old NAS Ultra 4 is ok.

The shared folder where all the problems are happening has file access settings as follows: Folder owner Guest, Folder group: Guest, "Grant rename and delete privileges to non owner of the" Checked and selected all. Everyone, folder owner, and group has read/write permissions.

Network Access Security: On (I think, not sure, the slider is to the right and text on the left is on), Everyone and admin has read/write access, Allow anonymous access checked.
Message 6 of 10
olavlind
Aspirant

xeltros wrote:
I'm on mavericks 10.9.1, with RN104 with 6.1.6RC10. So my setup is quite similar to yours except I have an ARM CPU and I have no problem. I checked with AFP (my default since I have a Mac) and SMB and both work flawlessly with .docx files.
So I think SMBplus won't do anything and depending on the windows versions you use downgrading smb protocol mays not be a good idea.

Can you try with AFP, with a document you know is opened by you mac locally ? As I said earlier I think the message said it couldn't open word, not that word couldn't open the file.

I did the following: Turned NFS off, Put a checkmark in the box "Allow anonymous access" under AFP.
The "Folder not showing up" problem seem to be solved.

Opening any files in shared folder seem to be a problem. Word, Excel, Pdf etc.
I just got a new message opening word and excel files "Program cannot be opened -120"

For a short while I could actually open a few doc files, then the same problem appeared again.

Edit: Same problems again with folders not showing up, and folders showing up as documents
Message 7 of 10
olavlind
Aspirant

1 - What if I reset file permissions on the shared folder in question?
Can that cause any problems with other people on the system?

2 - Can I do Reset file permissions while people have open file on the NAS without any concequences?
Message 8 of 10
xeltros
Apprentice

1°) unless you did set things manually on each folder in which case your settings may be erased, I believe it's safe.
2°) probably, not sure if this reload the service at the end.
Message 9 of 10
olavlind
Aspirant

Case solved.

There seems to be bugs in the Apple Samba implementation, and the AFP protocol would not come up.
What I did was reset permissions on the share. Then I connected to the shared folder on the NAS using AFP from finder.
That seemed to fix everything. All is now working as it should.

~Olav
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements