× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Protection on a share

MxMCube
Aspirant

Protection on a share

I've looked around on the internet on how to protect my shares, and I don't know how. What I want to do, is if I go to my NAS on windows 8, click on a share called Test, it asks me to log in. In the log in, I want my username to be 'TestUser' and password '1234'. I also want, if I have another share named 'Test2', I can log in with the same account (Username: 'TestUser' Password: '1234'). Oh, I'm using a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 by the way.

Please help,

Maxim Deprez (MxMCube)

P.S: I don't know much, so please don't make it difficult to explain. Thank's.
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Protection on a share

First you need to create a user account for TestUser on the ultra, with the password set to 1234.

Then you need to set up the share Test with the proper permissions. There is an article here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... /related/1 You want "user security mode".
Message 2 of 7
MxMCube
Aspirant

Hmm ok.. I did what it said, and when I clicked my share, this happens.

I then sign-in, and then this happens.

I think it probably is, because I don't have Security Mode.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Is "Users" set up as follows?
From the Default access drop-down, select Read-only. This will prevent other users or anonymous users from editing or deleting items on the share.
Enable the "Write-enabled users" checkbox and enter a user or group name in the associated textbox.
Disable the "Allow guest access" checkbox to prevent anonymous users from logging into the share.

Also, how are the ownership/permissions set up on the "advanced options" tab for the share?
Message 4 of 7
MxMCube
Aspirant

Hey, I was just messing around, and I got it working. The other computers in my network cant access the folder except for my computer. Though I have one more problem.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You get that folder because you have private home shares enabled on the NAS. Go into the user/user accounts screen, and select "preferences" from the pulldown on the upper right. You'll see a control to disable the private home shares (right under "default group for new users").
Message 6 of 7
MxMCube
Aspirant

Ahh. Here we go! Thank you so much for helping, I really appreciate it! Cheers.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements