× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about a failed drive

ThomasWilson
Aspirant

Question about a failed drive

Hello I’m trying to find out if a failed drive for a NETGEAR READY NAS :

Model# RN10200
S/N# 3ER53AE300086

is replaceable and if so could you please provide me the exact type of replacement drive that can be purchased to replace the failed drive?

The NAS is currently operating off the second drive which appears to be working fine
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Question about a failed drive

@ThomasWilson wrote:

Hello I’m trying to find out if a failed drive for a NETGEAR READY NAS :

is replaceable and if so could you please provide me the exact type of replacement drive that can be purchased to replace the failed drive?

The drives are replacable.

Get either a Seagate Ironwolf or a Western Digital Red Plus (not a Western Digital Red).  It needs to be at least as large as the drive you are replacing.  (if it is larger, you won't get any new space until you upgrade the second drive to the same size).  Enterprise-class drives would also work, but are overkill for the RN102.

The process I recommend is to hot-swap the drive - removing the old one and reinserting the new one with the NAS running.  Be careful to remove the correct drive.

Netgear recommends backing up the data first (and I agree).  The data is more vulnerable when the drives are resyncing.

Message 2 of 4
ThomasWilson
Aspirant

Hello,

I replaced the drive with the one you recommended but the drive is still not detectable. I didn't unplug the NAS after doing so because it's supposed to be hot swappable and I didnt want to risk damaging the only remaining drive that is still working. I'm thinking that the slot must be bad. 

We may end up just purchasing a new READY NAS since this one was manufactured in 2014 I believe.

Could you please tell me what the newest READY NAS model is that is equivalent to my current model?
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You are not going to find a new ReadyNAS for sale anywhere.  Netgear has apparently manufactured none since the start of the pandemic, and most suspect they are exiting the market.  Used is an option, and a 212 or 312 would be good options, both of which would accept your existing volume.  For more expandability, you could go to a 4 or 6 bay unit, too.  A legacy Pro or Ultra model upgraded to OS6 would also work.

But given the questionable nature of Netgear's continued support, moving to another brand may be a better choice.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements