× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about mounting a drive on ReadyNAS 102

rcanpolat
Aspirant

Question about mounting a drive on ReadyNAS 102

Hi guys,

I got myself a ReadyNAS 102 running 6.1.4 yesterday - yay!

Currently i have a single 2tb drive in the NAS. I want to offload media from a 1tb drive onto the nas's 2tb drive.

I have this 1tb drive a few years and it used to be an external hard drive. The usb connection broke on it so i ripped out the 3.5" disk from the enclosure and i used a usb to sata connector and jumped power into it from an old computer psu (by shorting the terminals etc) I no longer have an old psu that i can jump the drive from to pull the data off the drive and offload it onto my new 2tb drive on the NAS.

I was wondering... can i slot in my 1tb drive into bay 2 of my RNAS-102 and transfer files onto the 2tb drive, then wipe the 1tb drive and mount it to make 3tb's? If i slot in the 1tb drive into my RNAS 102 will it automatically format the drive and wipe the data i've been collecting for years? I think its formatted as either FAT32 or OSX Extended. I can't quite remember because its been months since i used the drive.

What are my options of getting the data off the 1tb drive without having to buy a 3.5" enclosure or a PSU by using the ReadyNAS 102? I no longer have a desktop machine.. only tablets and laptops

Thanks for reading,

Ross,
Dublin, Ireland 😄
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Question about mounting a drive on ReadyNAS 102

If you install the 1TB drive into the NAS it will be wiped. So I think you will need a SATA->USB adapter that includes a power supply. There are such several adapter kits available - here is one: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-Ad ... B0064I1OFW

Afterwards, if you can switch to flex-raid you can install the drive in the second slot and set it up as a second volume. If the drive is not on the HCL, Netgear can/will deny support.
Message 2 of 3
rcanpolat
Aspirant

Re: Question about mounting a drive on ReadyNAS 102

yea i figured i would need to buy an adaptor. thanks for your advice and thank god i didn't mount that 1tb drive! 😄 cheers mate
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements