× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID 1 - connect new disk, RN104

machefi
Aspirant

RAID 1 - connect new disk, RN104

The RN104 have mounted saved data disk.

Can I add a second (the same size disk) to create RAID 1 - mirror and in options on the admin page I choose to create RAID 1?

Data from the first disk (with data) will be copied to the new or both drives will be cleared?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RAID 1 - connect new disk, RN104

If you have one disk installed, then make sure XRAID is enabled.  There should be a green stripe across the XRAID control on the volume tab.

If XRAID is enabled, just insert a new drive that is the same size as the existing one.  You can do that with the NAS running.  It will convert to RAID-1, and preserve all your data.

Doing a backup first is recommended, since there is always a chance disk 1 will fail during the process - and that would result in data loss.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you have one disk installed, then make sure XRAID is enabled.  There should be a green stripe across the XRAID control on the volume tab.

If XRAID is enabled, just insert a new drive that is the same size as the existing one.  You can do that with the NAS running.  It will convert to RAID-1, and preserve all your data.

Doing a backup first is recommended, since there is always a chance disk 1 will fail during the process - and that would result in data loss.

Message 2 of 4
machefi
Aspirant

It sounds promising.
Unfortunately, I have no where to backup ... 😞
Topic, I conclude, as execute an operation to create RADI 1 from a saved disk with another cleared. However, it can take several days.
Thank you for fast help.

Message 3 of 4
machefi
Aspirant

It worked. RAID-1 created and looks that the data survived, too.

Thank you.
Now anxiously waiting for the next update...;)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements