× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDar finds ReadyNAS Ultra from Mac, but not from PC

dtmoore1971
Aspirant

RAIDar finds ReadyNAS Ultra from Mac, but not from PC

I am having an issue where I can find and access my ReadyNAS Ultra just fine from my Mac using just about any method: RAIDar finds it, I can access shares from Finder, and I can get to the config page using my web browser. When I try to access it from my wife's PC (running Windows 7), RAIRar won't find it, and I cannot access shares by any method (i.e. not even using IP\SHARENAME or \\NASNAME\SHARENAME in File Manager). I can get to the admin stuff through a browser page, but that doesn't allow access to the shares.

I have checked everything I can think of, from firewall settings (nothing changes if I disable the firewall completely), to individual service protocols (Boy, was that a lot of fun!), and nothing I do makes the ReadyNAS visible to my wife's PC. It should be noted that this is a fairly recent change .. I had everything set up for her a few months ago, with the shares mapped as virtual drives, but then she needed to have her tech helpers at work do an OS reinstall, which destroyed my shares, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get her back on.

I should say that I have NOT tried an OS reinstall (on the NAS) yet ... I am a little bit leery of doing that unless it is absolutely necessary, since it seems like Bad Things can happen if one makes a mistake, and I didn't see how it could be necessary when I can still access everything just fine from my Mac.

I would appreciate any suggestions the community has to offer .. thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 6
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: RAIDar finds ReadyNAS Ultra from Mac, but not from PC

Is the Windows7 PC within the same network range as with your MAC and the ReadyNAS Ultra? Check the IP address settings and the physical connection of the Windows7 PC to your existing network.
Message 2 of 6
dtmoore1971
Aspirant

Yes, both my Mac and the PC are connected to the same subnet (via Wireless) as the NAS (via Ethernet). The addresses of the Mac and PC are 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.4, while the NAS is 10.0.0.3 ... the gateway/DHCP server on this network is 10.0.0.1. I should also mention that I have my router configured to lock the IP of the NAS to it's MAC address, so it won't be reassigned when the DHCP refreshes (I had issues with this in the past).
Message 3 of 6
RX
Luminary
Luminary

dtmoore1971 wrote:
Yes, both my Mac and the PC are connected to the same subnet (via Wireless) as the NAS (via Ethernet). The addresses of the Mac and PC are 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.4, while the NAS is 10.0.0.3 ... the gateway/DHCP server on this network is 10.0.0.1. I should also mention that I have my router configured to lock the IP of the NAS to it's MAC address, so it won't be reassigned when the DHCP refreshes (I had issues with this in the past).

As per what you mentioned that the Windows7 PC is connected wirelessly to the existing network, have you tried to connect via a wired connection then try if you could access the shares in the NAS? Check also if you get a reply from the NAS IP address when you ping it via cmd.
Message 4 of 6
dtmoore1971
Aspirant

I haven't tried the wired connection yet ... I'll have to dig up an extra ethernet cable to try it, but it's a good suggestion, and I will do it as soon as I can. However, I guess the ping would work fine, since I can access the Front Panel in a browser window from the PC by connecting to 10.0.0.3.
Message 5 of 6
dtmoore1971
Aspirant

Ok, it's all working again now, although I am not precisely sure why, or what the original problem was. When I connected using the ethernet cable, RAIDar was indeed able to detect the NAS again (thanks Ixa!). I still couldn't reach the shares directly from File Manager, but I was able to use the "Browse" functionality of RAIDar to get to them, and I mapped all of them to network drives. I then disconnected the ethernet and switched the wireless back on, and voila, the shares now work as expected via the mapped drives.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements