× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS DUO failed after a shutdown

stobby256
Aspirant

READYNAS DUO failed after a shutdown

Hi All,

I've been back and forth on the WWW for hours now with no definitive solution. Here's the score : -

ReadyNas Duo. Shut down from the control panel. Left unpowered for two weeks. Restarted and could only ping it. No Http connection and no shares. Just a slow blink of the power button LED. Left it for 3 hours. still the same - no Disk LEDS on at all. Can only shut down by pulling the power cord. Restarted - exactly the same. Removed both drives, powered up. Still the same. then it gives me the 3 fast flashes and two slow - saying no hard drives found (no suprise!)

Powered off - replace one drive. powered on - slow flashing power button LED. - Raidar cannot find anything - no drive LED.
Powered off - replace with the other drive. powered on - slow flashing power button LED. - Raidar cannot find anything - no drive LED.

Powered off - removed all drives. powered on - slow flashing power button LED. - Raidar finds the NAS, and gave me an IP address range as given by my router. Great!! Nope. cannot select the NAS on raidar to browse it (can ping it but no HTTP.) Then, after 5 mins, Raidar fails to find the NAS altogether. Nothing. No ping no http.

Tried resettting with the paperclip. (Disks out just in case!) Power off - reset button in - plug in and turn on - all the power button does is flash... no flash sequence.. do I wait 5 seconds? 10 seconds?

Well that's it. I think I tried everything.

Any help appreciated, either psychiatric or technical.

Steve
UK
Message 1 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

Re: READYNAS DUO failed after a shutdown

When you tried accessing the boot menu, did you have a disk in, perhaps you have a spare disk to use for this?
The boot menu options you might try are OS reinstall, memory check or factory default ( the former preserves data on the disks, the latter is data destructive.
See the manual for info about the boot menu
http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... ept-11.pdf
Is the readynas still under warranty?
Contact support if it is.
Message 2 of 20
StephenB
Guru

You can't browse the NAS with no disks, because the operating system is on the disks.
Message 3 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

Aha! Have to have disks in eh...

Anyhow...
Put both disks back in. Powered up, with reset button in. Hit the power button.. which just kept flashing.. nothing from the drive LEDS... gave up again...

Restarted, ran RAIDar, it found the NAS, said both drives were installed. ...cheking file system... than it said booting... was I onto a winner here!!!

No.

Raidar then flipped out and could not find any device at all. Although still could ping it. Will leave it overnight and see what happens.
Message 4 of 20
Bass_Oldie
Aspirant

Hi stobby,

nearly had the same problem last night. I took the ReadyNAS Duo v1 down for a drive upgrade and after reboot I only got the blue flashing LED forever and no access to any drive, and no connection to the outside world / network.
Finally it turned out to be a faulty 512 MB memory chip. It died during the power down or up sequence.
I plugged the previously delivered 256 MB chip in instead and the NAS powered up just as if nothing bad has ever happened.

So, it might be worth a try in your case as well.
Good luck,

Ax
Message 5 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

Try my suggestions from my earlier post:
Put a spare disk in, try to get to the boot menu, check the memory, do an OS reinstall.
You can do these with your existing disks, but if you have a spare disk, use it, this may help to diagnose a problem with one of your existing disks.
Message 6 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Left it overnight but nothing has changed - I get a solid blue light, no disk activity LEDs and RAIDar cannot detect it, despite being able to ping it with its original static IP.

I'll also take it apart and reseat anything I can see, or see if I have any spare memory around !

I've no spare drives to try unfortunatly, so will pop on eBay later and get another one to try, rather than risk my data. (There's a wealth of photographs on there, but fortunatlely all backed up to ADrive.com - however there is shedloads of music that erm.. isn't :shock: )

eBay here I come 🙂

Steve
Message 7 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When did you buy this Duo? If you purchased it brand new it would have a 3 year warranty from the date of purchase.
Message 8 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

Well it was quite a while ago ! Can't even remember now :oops:

I've tried to power on with reset button held in, (I'm following the v2 procedure here as it says 'v2' on the underside). I'm waiting for all the LEDs to come on before I release the reset button to access the menu or cycle it with the backup button.

However - the LED1 and LED2 buttons come on, then go off. then back on ... and off, there is around 8 seconds between these. repeats this 3 times and LED2 coms on. and stays on. I've held that reset button in now for 3-4 minutes but nothing happens like it s is supposed to.

This happens with left disk in, right disk in, and both disks in. The unit is fully powered off before any disks added or removed.

I don't think Ive got any recourse now but to try different RAM or a Hdd if I can finad a spare... :cry:
Message 9 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 10 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

AGGHH!

It's a V1... Thankyou for that. But it still don't work... :shock:

But not surprising!

OK Editted again!

After much heartache and research..

Hold reset button in power her up - disks installed. And - now the disk LEDs flash once after 5s. release reset button.(That's the reload the OS option??!!??) RAIDar finds it! says I have disks installed - two greens - and messages "checking file system". Then it changes to "booting"... and then RAIDar drops out altogether and never finds it again. Tried it with left disk in and then right disk in. Same. will have to get a disk from somewhere...

I believe there is a readnas V2 at work, with two disks that I could use as it's only for testing, so does not matter if they get erased.

Will report back .
Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Do you have (or need) a backup of the duo v1? DiskInternal's linux reader will let you pull the data off of drive 1. (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) Best you take care of any backup issues before you go further.

Once that is taken care of you could also try a factory reset.
Message 12 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

Well thats a great help indeed, thanks. I only have a laptop here so will download, install and plug in a drive and see whats what. 😎

So... here goes.... Took a drive out of a ReadyNAS DUO V2, (that I don't mid wiping), and put it in my ReadyNas. booted up, no resets, no OS reloads.

It went through and built a volume, and restarted, and worked just fine. So, we now know the actual unit is FINE. 😛
Looks like bith of my HDDs are faulty? Why both at the same time 😐

I'll stick the original HDD back in the ReadyNAS and see what happens, but wont hold my breath.
Message 13 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

As I thought, put original disk back in, powered on, and it does not reboot at all.

Will get the original disks into a PC and see if there is anything we can get off them. As I said, why both disks? Isnt that what we have RAID for?
Message 14 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Probably best to run the disk diags/look at smart stats before we reach the conclusion that the both disks are bad.

RAID does fail sometimes - disks in RAID-1 are under near identical loads and conditions, so they will fail together more often than random chance suggests. Also, RAID won't protect against software problems.
Message 15 of 20
stobby256
Aspirant

OK - Here's the finfdings!

Booted a PC into some Linux back up facility / SMART test... One drive reported OK, the other (drive 2) had nothing on it.

Formatted drive 2 as NTFS
Backed up from disk 1 to the new NTFS disk2

Will buy two new disks for ReadyNAS Duo, and build new RAID Array
Will load up from my NTFS disk to Reday nas - setup shares etc etc.

I'll put another post up here - ReadyNAS Duo HDD compatability - try getting smost of the drives that NETGEAR list - they are all end of life!!
Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

The WDC Reds are pretty new, and good choices for both the duo and the duo v2. They are on the compatibility list. Since you have a v1, you are limited to 2 TB sizes.

BTW, you might want to update your profile.
Message 17 of 20
deejay1
Aspirant

Guys, I am in a similar situation to Stobby256 except that my Duo v1 failed with no coincident causal activity except that it failed while I was investigating slow read times for certain clients of my LAN and it was this that I contacted Support about.
Under instruction from Support I have rebooted the OS from flash and the unit became reachable for 5-10 minutes. FrontView reported 68hrs to RAID sync. Lots of disc activity followed then back to paperweight mode with a blue flashing light ! The unit is under warranty until the end of the month but I am already thinking about how to get access to my data. The 'diskinternals' link provided by StephenB looks promising but I wonder how the disc/s would be physically connected to the PC, an external SATA interface perhaps ? I am assuming that since the RAID is a mirror, then recovery (to another drive) can potentially be achieved using either of the two discs that still works ? Again assuming that it is not a double disc failure 😞 (the discs share equal stress but in my case that stress is light). I have nothing on the NAS that is needed urgently or frequently but I do want it all back and the 24 hr turn round for responses from Support are beginning to test my patience. I hope your problem is fixed Stobby.
Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

An external SATA adapter will work - note you need power.

You need to use disk 1. The duo v1's parity disk (disk 2) does not have a data partition (though the recovery data is there). So Linux Reader will not see it.
Message 19 of 20
deejay1
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, my adapter has power provision.
And there was I thinking that RAID-1 meant mirroring two or more identical data partitions across as many discs ! I will bear your advice in mind and hope that disc 1 is readable !
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements