× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 104 not recognising 3rd drive

RN 104 not recognising 3rd drive

Hi,

I have a Readynas RN104 that has been working fine for the past year with the two Seagate ST3000VN000 (3TB) drives in X-RAID (Type: RAID 1) mode to produce 2.72TB total space.

I purchased another Seagate ST3000VN000 (3TB) drive and placed it into the 3rd drive bay (hot) expecting it to be recognised by the NAS but it was not.

What I've done so far...

• Rebooted the NAS, upgraded the firmware to V6.2.3, rebooted the NAS again, pulled the drive out (hot) then powered the NAS down then plugged the drive back in then re started the NAS.

• I've also checked the drive was not partitioned (using a Vantec USB to SATA adaptor on my laptop) and it was not which is what I would expect from a brand new drive.

• I've also Googled the web and read a number of posts on this board but most of these issues seem to be related to using partitioned and/or pre used/formatted drives.

I've not found a fix for a situation like mine where the drive is brand new partitioned so if anyone can shed some light that would be great...

Cheers
David
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN 104 not recognising 3rd drive

Can you hook the disk up to your PC and test it using SeaTools?
Message 2 of 9

I guess I could do that but presume I would have to at least partition and possible format the drive in order to run the tools, is that wise on a new NAS drive?
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You don't need to partition or format the disk to test it using the vendor tools.
Message 4 of 9

Cool, thanks for that info.

I ran the Short DST test and it passed but failed both the short and long generic tests.

I guess the disk is bad?

Cheers
David
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like it, yes.

Can you try a different new disk in the NAS?
Message 6 of 9

I've found an old Maxtor 80Gb (SATA150) drive I could use, is there any risk in trying this?
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disk you use needs to have at least as much capacity as the disk you replace so you can't use that Maxtor disk.
Message 8 of 9

OK thanks, I'll send the faulty disk back to the supplier to replace with a good one, thanks for your help.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements