× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN Duo V1 - Boot problem - HDD1 absent

jlebouch
Aspirant

RN Duo V1 - Boot problem - HDD1 absent

Hello,

I have a strange situation with my ReadyNas Duo that i can't understand. I have 2 NAS specific HDD of 2 TB each inserted in my ReadyNas Duo v1. For years i had no problem.

But in the past days, I'm observing contradictory things after the booting of the machine:

1- Few seconds after normal turning ON the RND, I hear a bip sound twice (maybe separated by 0.5 sec)

2- the machine seems to never finish his boot because the "stable" state will show that the Power button is blinking blue, with LED for HDD1 being with no light and LED for HDD 2 blinking green.

3- with Raidar 4.3.8 for Mac, after the RN has become stable, like described above, I can see the info "bad disks detected" but both LED for HDD1 and HDD2 are stable green. And the first LED to the left is blinking blue, indicating that a background task is going on in the background. With Raidar, i see an allocated IP adress but the button for Setup is inactive. I don't remember if the IP address of RND is fixed or allocated by DHCP from the router. 

4- I could not access the RDN with Finder (with smb command) neither with Windows 10. But this might be because of subnet between computer and RND that are not matching. I'm not much 

Some days ago, i tried to start troubleshooting by doing:

- I removed HDD2 (when power was off), and started the RND again. I then observed that the LED for HDD1 was green stable and the Power LED was stable blue. See this video link. So does that mean that my HDD1 is safe and not damaged?

I'm not sure of what conclusion to make and how to solve this.

Could it be that the system is updating by itself (without me initiated it) or trying to synchronize with a bad HDD and therefore the process is never ending?  Will an OS re-install help in solving the issue?  Should i let the RND turned ON over a weekend (so that it will finish his background task) to see if the boot will become real stable with both LED of HDD1 and HDD2 become stable green? if HDD1 is ok, how can I check that HDD2 is faulty? 

Hope some of you will be able to help me. With thanks,

Josy

Model: RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN Duo V1 - Boot problem - HDD1 absent

@jlebouch

Welcome to the Community!

What firmware are you running? Have you tried booting the NAS without the disks? It should let RAIDar know that no disks were detected. Also, were you able to get access after booting the NAS with only HDD1 inserted? Have you tried with only HDD2 inserted?

Was this working before? It would be best if you check the disks using the vendor disk utility (Seagate tools or WD Lifeguard) and see if there are any problems with the disks.

It can also be an issue with the PSU or Power brick as other Community members have experienced so you may want to check that by buying or checking a different power brick if possible. Also, your ReadyNAS Duo is a bit old and might need a replacement already.

If you will be able to boot the Duo with 1 disk (HDD1 or HDD2) inserted and get access to the data, it would be best if you do a full backup and Factory reset as to get it working. If you also have the logs before this happened, or will be able to get the logs kindly send it to me so we can check it for you.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

When you booted with just drive 1, then drive 2 likely got out of sync with it and the NAS may be trying to sync the volume.  But if drive 2 really is bad, that could hang.

The best way to test the drive is to connect it to a PC via a USB dock or directly to an internal SATA connection and run the manufacturer's diagnostics program.

Message 3 of 6
jlebouch
Aspirant

Thank you Marc for your quick reply. It was a real need for me when i visited my office (which is in a different country from where i live).

I did what you suggested. I boot the machine with only HDD1 in place and was able to access its content with Raidair. I did the backup to external HDD. Now my colleague (who folllows my tech instructions) will find out if HDD2 is really dead or if after doing a Factory reset, everything would work again normally.

I may not get a quick answer as they are preparing an office move. My main concern is HDD2 is dead, it would most probably be impossible to find similar drive than HDD1 on the market (even though our RND v1 might still be working after 9 years). If i can't find compatible HDD anymore, could we put any other HDD not compatible or will you advice us to get a new machine?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@jlebouch wrote:

If i can't find compatible HDD anymore, could we put any other HDD not compatible or will you advice us to get a new machine?

They haven't updated the HCL for legacy NAS for a long time.  I recommend ignoring it. WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf drives are intended for NAS, and are good options for your ReadyNAS.  Just get one of them.  The two drives need to be the same size, but they do not need to be identical models (and speed/cache size also doesn't need to match).

Message 5 of 6
jlebouch
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@jlebouch wrote:

If i can't find compatible HDD anymore, could we put any other HDD not compatible or will you advice us to get a new machine?

They haven't updated the HCL for legacy NAS for a long time.  I recommend ignoring it. WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf drives are intended for NAS, and are good options for your ReadyNAS.  Just get one of them.  The two drives need to be the same size, but they do not need to be identical models (and speed/cache size also doesn't need to match).

Oh thanks, that's great news!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements