× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN Ultra 2 Periodically Locking Up/Becoming Unresponsive

iamtheevster
Aspirant

RN Ultra 2 Periodically Locking Up/Becoming Unresponsive

Hi there,

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 running OS 4.2.26 (I haven't applied the very latest update yet). For quite a while now (through several OS updates) I've had a problem and was hoping someone might be able to clue me into how to debug it.

Everyone so often, my ReadyNAS just completely locks up and becomes unresponsive: I can't get to it via SSH/SFTP, any services running on it (like Plex) aren't available, and it's not locatable with RAIDar.

I can reboot it (holding down the power button to force a hard shutdown and then restarting, and everything's fine again for a while.

The lockup doesn't seem to correlate to any activities, regular access, etc. It's seemingly random. Sometimes it'll run fine for a couple of weeks, and sometimes it'll lock up after a couple of days.

I'm comfortable with basic linux commands/administration, but am certainly not an expert, and I'm not even sure where to start looking (what log files to inspect, etc.) to troubleshoot this.

If anyone has any ideas, pointers, etc., I'd really appreciate the assist. Happy to post any data/logs/etc. that might be relevant if you can point me to the right thing.

Thanks, everyone!
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN Ultra 2 Periodically Locking Up/Becoming Unresponsive

Please send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).
Message 2 of 11
iamtheevster
Aspirant

Thanks, mdgm. I just sent the logs as instructed.

Thanks in advance for the help, and let me know if there's any additional info I can provide
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see you are doing weekly disk scrubs. That is far too often. Disk scrubs should be run every 2-3 months.

I see one of your disks has a non-zero current pending sector count. I wonder if the stress of very regularly run disk scrubs has led to one of your disks starting to fail.
Message 4 of 11
iamtheevster
Aspirant

I've changed the disk scrubbing settings to run every 8 weeks. What's the appropriate timing for the File System Consistency Checks?

It's certainly possible that there's a disk problem, but for what it's worth, these disks are new as of about 12 months ago. And, this behavior was happening prior to that.

Would a disk starting to fail cause the issues that I'm seeing?
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The online filesystem checks are generally pretty quick so I still run those weekly.

What do you use the NAS for?

Were you also doing very regular disk scrubs with the disks you were using previously?
Message 6 of 11
iamtheevster
Aspirant

I'm using the NAS for file storage (pictures, itunes library, videos), and it's running Plex, which I access from my Roku. It's also running gmvault, and backing up email weekly. That's about it.

Yes, the disk scrub settings were the same with the previous disks. I have been using those previous disks once they were removed (I upgraded to a larger size) and so far haven't had any problems with them.

Thanks.
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a backup of your data?

Have you tried running a few passes of the memory test boot menu option?
Message 8 of 11
iamtheevster
Aspirant

Yes, I do have a backup of all data.

I haven't tried running the memory test but will do so and report back.

Thanks!
Message 9 of 11
iamtheevster
Aspirant

Ran the memory test successfully overnight, so that's a good thing. If there's anything else you'd recommend I try, let me know. Thanks again!
Message 10 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could try a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup and see if that helps.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements