× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Just deleted a ton of folders on my dropbox!

matthewmalk248
Aspirant

RN102 Just deleted a ton of folders on my dropbox!

Our RN102 stopped syncing to dropbox about a week ago, so we tried rebooting it and a firmware update to 6.1.7, it still wouldn't sync, then we tried unlinking the NAS from the dropbox account and re-authorizing it, which worked, but then the NAS decided to DELETE ALL new files/folders on our Dropbox since the NAS originally stopped syncing! I contacted support immediately and they insisted that a dropbox user had to be deleting the files as the NAS wouldn't do that. But oddly enough, it only started after I clicked "Sync" after authrozing the NAS to our dropbox, and this magical user that was deleting all the recently created files and folders (Dropbox called him "ReadyNAS") was only deleting files that have been created on Dropbox since the NAS stopped syncing. All deleted folders/files were deleted within minutes of me re-authorizing the ReadyNAS to our Dropbox. There is some major faulty logic here. Support is supposedly testing this scenario in their lab and emailing me back..

So now I get to spend my entire evening combing through my dropbox and trying to restore all the folders/files our ReadyNAS just deleted. SMH
:x
Message 1 of 10
tobymills
Aspirant

Re: RN102 Just deleted a ton of folders on my dropbox!

Hi Matthew,
I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
I enabled dropbox backup on my ReadyNAS 102 recently, but it was hogging all my bandwidth doing the initial sync, so I disabled it temporarily. When I re-enabled it, any file that had been added to dropbox while it was disabled was seen as a delete rather than an add, and so ReadyNAS happily went and deleted them all!

Does anybody know if this is a bug in DropBox or in the ReadyNas implementation?
Did you manage to resolve the problem at all?

Toby 🙂
Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you opened a support case? If so, what is the case number?
Message 3 of 10
mh5bl
Aspirant

Was is solved ??
I have my RN102 sync to dropbox and it has done but it is not updating dropbox with changes ?
after reading this I do not wish to stop and restart the add-on.
Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you should as a first step make sure you have an up to date backup, then try things such as restarting the Dropbox service.

Once your backup is up to date you will at least know that if something goes wrong you still have your data.

I see from your signature that you are using 500 GB disks. Shouldn't be too hard to find space to back that up or to get a USB disk for a backup.

You should backup your data regularly. No important data should be entrusted to a single device.
Message 5 of 10
mh5bl
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.

I do backup to a set of 6 USB data-stick as I on use 21GB of data. (with the snapshoots - around 6gb with out ) and the dropbox was to be a ongoing backup as-well.
but changes make i.e. deleting files or moving them do not seen to be happening.
Message 6 of 10
mh5bl
Aspirant

I have just notice that the file have come back onto my NAS box after they where deletes. This may explain the reason they are on "dropbox"
Looking back at the snapshot they come back Yesterday and the file where deleted the day before !!

Any Ideas ??
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Where did you delete the files from?

I believe our Dropbox functionality goes in one direction. Files on a share on the NAS are backed up to a share on your Dropbox. Changes made on your Dropbox are not synced back to the NAS.
Message 8 of 10
mh5bl
Aspirant

I deleted the files from the NAS.
As Yes you are right, is a one direction sync. I am only using the dropbox as a off-site backup
just in case.

(back-up and back-up again) - (you can never have enough back-ups !!!
Message 9 of 10
Flomer
Tutor

Hi all,

I know this topic is quiet old but couldn't find someting else... Have the same poblem with my dropbox and RN. After syncing around 30 GB it stopped and doesn't start again.

I'm using a RN102 with the actual OS. Tried to de-activate and activate the dropbox sync. Re-started NAS and router. Without success! Is there any solution? I have a dropbox pro account with 1 TB. Is there any limitation from dropbox? Trafficlimit?

Br,

Flo
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements