× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 won't do the factory reset

ABNL
Guide

RN102 won't do the factory reset

Wanting the factory reset (push the reset button with a paperclip, put on power, see all lights go on, select Disk 1 with backup button, press the reset again with the paperclip) it won't do the reset. The power button flashes for a moment, and then... nothing happens.

And since the RN102 is invisible in my network on 2 computers from one day to another, I guess I have to do the reset..? Does this mean that all data is still available on disc 2 (since it is a 2 bay NAS)? 

But however, I want it to work again. The factory reset is not working. What can I do? 

Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 won't do the factory reset

Did you just upgrade to 6.4.0?

Message 2 of 13
ABNL
Guide

Thank you for answering.

In the process of trying to get it online, it was online for a short while. Then I tried to install the newest firmware in, but it failed to install. After that the NAS is offline according to http://readycloud.netgear.com/client. Also I cannot connect to the NAS in in Windows or explorer by using the IP.

Message 3 of 13
dieman
Aspirant

I just ran into exactly this problem: attempt to upgrade firmware to 6.4, all hangs forever.

After reboot, nothing works. System is not discoverable by Raidar, admin page not accessible.

System won't go into "Factory reset" mode anymore. When attempting to initiate the factory reset the power loght flashes a few times, and then the system stays with "power" and "act" leds lit forever, just like original poster reported.

Would be grateful for any hints.

Message 4 of 13
ABNL
Guide

I tried the OS reinstall several times also, but this does not work either.

Message 5 of 13
dieman
Aspirant

The firmware upgrade 6.4 has rendered my device completely inoperable.

@Moderator:

What should I do? Please advise.

Can I submit a support ticket?

Message 6 of 13
Meggl
Aspirant

Exactly the same is true for me.

Nothing works:  no conection is possible, no reset etc, after upgrade to 6.4 failed. 

Message 7 of 13
ABNL
Guide

After trying for 15 orso times, the NAS finally did something. Lights turned off and on (act, disk 1 then act and act and backup) the power light blinked, and now it is in a state where every light is continue on for some hours. Should I wait?

Message 8 of 13
ChristineT
Admin

Hello ReadyNAS users,

We are currently investigating this issue and have had some customers confirm that booting from using the USB recovery tool resolves this issue. Please take a look at the following information FAQs on upgrading ReadyNAS firmware to 6.4.0.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance after reviewing the information and trying these steps. We can work with you directly to ensure your issue gets resolved.

Thank you one and all for contributing to this topic!

Best Regards,

Christine

NETGEAR Community 

Message 9 of 13
dieman
Aspirant

Has anyone on this thread been able to boot from USB, as in the suggested article

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29961?

I haven't

I have 2 flash drives (USB sticks). One of them has activity LED, the other doesn't. But both satisfy criteria mentioned in the article. I went through all steps with each of my flash drives.

1) First I try my USB stick without activity LED.

I insert it into the front USB port with ReadyNAS turned off. I plug in the power cable while holding "Backup" button down. All LEDs blink for 10-15 seconds while I am holding the button down, then after 20-30 seconds all of them stop blinking and stay steadily lit forever. ReadyNAS does not power down after 30 minutes. So I presume the boot update fails.

2) Then I try the stick with USB stick. Again, I diligently follow all steps in the article.

I plug the stick into the front USB port with ReadyNAS turned off. I plug in the power cable in while holding "Backup" button down.

Power and Backup LEDs of the NetGear start blinking, 'act' LED is steadily on while I keep holding 'Backup' button down. After 20-30 seconds the activity LED of the USB stick lights up and stays lit for approx. 5 seconds, then it goes out.

Power and Backup LEDs continue blinking, 'Act' LED is steadiy on. The ReadyNAS stays in this state forever, there is no automatic powerdown. Apparently boot from this USB drive fails too.

Could anyone share their experience? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 13
ABNL
Guide

I was working on it, but couldn't find a suitable USB, so i have to go the store first. I hope to reboot this week. So little time.. So much to do.

Message 11 of 13
dieman
Aspirant

With 3 flash drives I can't get it to work the way explained in the support article.

Whole lifetime of this device was marked with problems.

Problems started on the 3rd after I bought it - I lost access to admin page (this is another known problem - ReadyCloud corrupts user record).

So for about a year I had to run the device without access to my admin page.

Now I spent whole weekend copying 3 TB elsewhere hoping to solve the problem by doing factory reset, and now I am getting this.

I am just fed up. I think I am throwing this device away and buying new one from another vendor, period.

Total thumbs down, NetGear. Not buying anything from you anymore.

Message 12 of 13
ABNL
Guide

I bought a TDK32GB USB but it didn't work. then I used some old USB which didn't meet the specs. I followed the instructions BUT I didn't use the reset button, but the backup button at the front *RN102*! Then it took some minutes to reboot, turn down and getting online again. All files are there. 

Glad the netgear is back alive, but i will buy a drive for backup.. Better double safe then sorry. I had other expectations of the netgear Readynas.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements