× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - Boot disk full

Hayju01
Aspirant

RN104 - Boot disk full

Hi, i've been battling for the last week with my RN104 when I logged in it appears my email config changed and i wasnt getting alerts that the boot disk 100%. I am tenet'd in and can see 0 available space on /dev/md0.

What can I safely remove? I assume there are some logs and probably a couple of old FW update files

Any help most welcome.

Thanks,

Justin

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 - Boot disk full

@Hayju01 wrote:

What can I safely remove?

It is a bit hard to explain.  The NAS software actually does a pretty good job on managing the space it uses.  Normally there is about 75% free space.  The main cause of your problem is an app that isn't doing that. Occasionally a failed backup job can also cause the issue.

There was also an issue with the AV service some time ago - if you are running old firmware, then that might be the situation you have.

What firmware are you running, and what apps are installed?

Also, do you have a backup of your data?  If you don't, you should make one, since it is at risk.  If you do, an alternative is to do a factory reset, upgrade to the current firmware, and restore your files from the backup.

Message 2 of 12
Hayju01
Aspirant

Hi,

I am running 6.9.5 (i think cant check as no access) and I do not have a backup 😞

Heres the full story 

2 weeks i ago i logged in to the web interface and it gave me the boot disk error I started to reasearch error.

A couple of days later i have no acces via web and reboot the system then it was stuck at booting 63%

Then it stopped booting and gave me debug error

at the weekend i was tried to create a USB boot disk but after 3 usb failed too boot i gave up

i then used the re-install OS and was able to acces via web but then it stopped.

since posting this morning I have a 'data   DEGRADED' error. 😞

I have a replacement NAS on order plus a disk and also a backup disk

I guess i need to wait for disk to repair that first and hope I dot lose 3TB of photos, not sure how i will be able to replace disk wihtout web access...

any advice welcome

Message 3 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

You should fix the problem with the OS partition before you get it busy resyncing (and creating more log entries in an already-full OS partition).  The redundancy loss may not even be from a bad drive, it may have fallen out of sync and the NAS is unable to start a re-sync because the OS partition is full.

If you answer @StephenB 's questions regarding what apps you are running, he may be able to direct you to where those files are.  Plex, for example, is notorious for doing that.

If your only copy of your photos is on the NAS, you are always at risk for losing them -- you've just gotten closer to it right now.  Since you can no longer get into the GUI, you are now going to have to back them up via command line entries in SSH.  You may have to manually mount the USB drive (assuming that's what you'll use), too.

There is an old IT saying that If you only have one copy of something, you must not think it's important.  Even though the NAS is RAID, you really only have one copy of what's on it.  My own pictures and important documents are backed up on both of my local backup NAS as well as a remote one.

BTW, it's good that USB recovery failed.  It absolutely is not going to help you here, and could have made things worse.  Your problem is 100% on the drives, not the flash that USB recovery fixes.  That, BTW, also means it will move with the volume to another NAS, if that new NAS on order was anticipated as a fix.  If it's intended instead as a backup NAS or becoming a new primary and relegating the old one to backup, you are on the right track to reduce the potential of loss in the future, but still need to deal with your present issue.

Message 4 of 12
Hayju01
Aspirant

I've been in IT almost 30 years and know I shoud l have back up but never expect to get this close to losing data.

I don't believe i have any apps?!!! and of course without a console.... 

I think I looked at Plex but then got Amazon Prime 🙂 but I am sure that got removed.

It might have AV installed and that's about it so may be thats the culprit

What can i do to determine next step?

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Hayju01 wrote:

It might have AV installed and that's about it so may be thats the culprit

AV was disabled on your NAS in OS 6.10.0, because the RN100 series no longer had enough resources to run the AV software. It has filled up the OS partition for several folks running older firmware.

So if Antivirus is enabled on your NAS, turn it off.

Paid Netgear Support can clean the damage for you (ask for per-incident support).

You can also fix it yourself - I posted a guide some time ago here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

There are some other causes, so please do follow up if it turns out that it isn't ClamAV.

Message 6 of 12
Hayju01
Aspirant

Thank you

I think I've found an article on here that cover removal of AV via command line just hope I can remember what I did this morning to mount the file system I should be good.

thank you all for your help

Message 7 of 12
Hayju01
Aspirant

It was your post that I had found 🙂

it seems that I do not have AV installed there is not a clamav directory.

the search continue 😁

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Hayju01 wrote:

it seems that I do not have AV installed there is not a clamav directory.

Did you check this with ssh?

What other apps are installed?

Message 9 of 12
Hayju01
Aspirant

It was not 😞 I was tired last night and had read too many articles my brain was gone 🙂

I have connected via ssh and sue enough there were a lot of tmp files in the clamav folder, removal of them increased the space in the drive. Thank you so much for this I feel I am making progress now.

However after a reboot I am still unable to open the web interface it is just stuck at the readynas splash screen.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Hayju01 wrote:

However after a reboot I am still unable to open the web interface it is just stuck at the readynas splash screen.

Perhaps try an OS reinstall via the boot menu next.  The process is on pages 28-29 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

It will change a couple of settings:

• admin password will be reset to password
  • network interface will be set to default dhcp
  • volume quota will be turned off (it can be re-enabled on the volume settings wheel).
Message 11 of 12
Hayju01
Aspirant

It turns out the pc I was trying to connect from was having a network issue after a reboot I was able to connect to web interface.

I can firm AV is switched off and that disk 2 is degraded.

I have a new disk arriving Monday but today I have an external drive so I will be able to get a backup ASAP.

thank you for all your help.

For anyone else reading this the fix was the removal of AV tmp files as per the link.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements