× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 stuck in boot at 0%

gnubee
Guide

Re: RN104 stuck in boot at 0%

All four disks passed.  Installed first three and unit is booting but now stuck at 99%.  Power light is blinking and disk activity light is blinking rapidly.

Message 26 of 42
gnubee
Guide

So after a short time I came back and the unit was off.  Tried to power on, would not come on.  Tried swapping power supply with known good one, removing the three disks.  The unit is dead.  Any options for getting this thing repaired?

Message 27 of 42
StephenB
Guru

@gnubee wrote:

So after a short time I came back and the unit was off.  Tried to power on, would not come on.  Tried swapping power supply with known good one, removing the three disks.  The unit is dead.  Any options for getting this thing repaired?

The RN104 has a 3 year warranty if you purchased it new.  Is it covered?  

You can confirm/check warranty status at my.netgear.com, and also request an RMA there (assuming it is covered).

Message 28 of 42
gnubee
Guide

It is covered, but I cannot find the link to get an RMA, only paid phone support ;(

Message 29 of 42
StephenB
Guru

@gnubee wrote:

It is covered, but I cannot find the link to get an RMA, only paid phone support ;(

I log in, then click on "my support" on the right menu. 

Then I click on "contact support".

I then see this screen, with the "replace my defective product" option:

support.png

Message 30 of 42
gnubee
Guide

Screen.png

Yup that's what I did and you end up at this screen with no "free" phone number to call:

Message 31 of 42
gnubee
Guide

Screen.png

Message 32 of 42
gnubee
Guide

I did a "hard disk RMA" since that was the only RMA optyion I could find.  Is that correct?  That was about 3 hours ago and haven't heard from anybody

Message 33 of 42
StephenB
Guru

@gnubee wrote:

I did a "hard disk RMA" since that was the only RMA optyion I could find.  Is that correct?  That was about 3 hours ago and haven't heard from anybody

It's not correct, that is for ReadyNAS that are sold with disks.

However, when someone does get back to you, you should be able to get it sorted out.

I don't believe that home NAS products get 24x7 support, so likely it won't be acted on until Monday.

Message 34 of 42
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello gnubee,

I checked your profile and found that one of the support people already responded to you but has not responded yet to your last question about the return shipping. Maybe this could help:

What is the warranty on my replacement unit?

Warranty on the replacement unit continues from the original date of purchase and will be extended for the number of whole days that the product has been out of the buyer's hands for warranty repairs.

Shipping options:

Swap Exchange

This option allows you to return the defective unit to the RMA fulfillment center. As soon as the fulfillment center receives the defective product, a replacement unit is shipped out in one business day via ground services.

Advance Ground (U.S. only)

The RMA fulfillment center will ship the replacement unit via ground before receipt of defective item, based on product availability. Your order must be received before 6 PM Eastern Standard Time. A prepaid shipping label will be included with your replacement unit. You will be charged a flat fee of $16.90 for Home Products and $19.90 for Business Products for this service option. You must return the failed product to the RMA fulfillment center within 10 business days of receiving the product. If you fail to return the product within 10 business days, you will be billed the current list price.

Advance Next Business Day (U.S. only)

For extra cost, Advance Priority allows you to receive the replacement unit the next business day, based on product availability. Your RMA number must be issued before 7 PM Eastern Standard Time. Along with the replacement unit, a prepaid shipping label will be included. Use the prepaid shipping label to return the defective product to the RMA fulfillment center. You must return the defective product within 10 business days of receipt of replacement product. If you fail to return the product within 10 business days, you will be billed the current list price. When your replacement part is shipped, your credit card will be charged for the amount below. You will be charged a flat fee of $29.90 for Home Products and $49.90 for Business Products for this service option.

To see more information about Netgear Warranty Return policy, please see this article.

Regards,

Message 35 of 42
gnubee
Guide

Hi Jenn,

That doesn't really help.  I was inquiring about the shipping TO Netgear and why after being sold a defective product that has cost me significant time and cost, I need to additionally pay to ship the unit back to get what I originally paid for: a functioning NAS server.

Message 36 of 42
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello gnubee,

I understand. As far as I know, the replacement is for free, there is also a free shipping of the replacement unit which is the Swap option but as the RMA policy says, the shipping of the faulty unit is not. I am just responding to you what the support person may tell you since I found that you have already send 3 messages on the case submission, I think the support person has not seen it yet. You may continue that complaint with them as they have customer service team, I think.

Regards,

Message 37 of 42
gnubee
Guide

So I received the replacement today.  Installed disks, it won't boot.  First time just showed the top row alphanumberics as blocks, now it is stuck at 0%.  Find it no problem with Raidar  Power and disk activity lights are blinking.  Another defective unit?

Message 38 of 42
StephenB
Guru

@gnubee wrote:

Another defective unit?

Anything's possible, but more likely it's about the disk volume.

Message 39 of 42
gnubee
Guide

So as a practical matter, what are my options?  Is it going to be possible to recover the volume on the HD set or will I have to unload a backup.  THis is doable, but obviously very time consuming.  If I need to wipe the drives, do I just erase them or do I reformat them?   Quick or thorough?  I would just remind that they did test good using the HGST utility so I don't think the drives themselves are bad.  Thanks in advance.

Message 40 of 42
StephenB
Guru

can you reach out to support again, and have them take a look?  The RMA didn't quite solve your problem after all.

Message 41 of 42
gnubee
Guide

I have.  The old unit was DOA so at least it lights up now.  I think whatever it's problem was, probably instigated the data issues.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements