× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 to RN426 Migration due to Lightning

Racer454X
Follower

RN104 to RN426 Migration due to Lightning

Recently got struck by lightning at my office and everything conected to my router was fried. My old ups had gone down a week before and the new one arrived the day after the lightning storm... 😞

My RN104 was the NAS that was fried and I have a RN426 I want to swap into it's place.  I kept up with updates on the RN104 although I'm not sure what the latest level was. The system has (4) 8TB disks and the system was over 75% full.

My question is; Can I move the (4) 8TB disks from the RN104 to the RN426 and have any chance of retaining the data? Should I try and find a used RN104 and try and recover the data that way? Or am I just out of luck?

I used this system as a backup for all of our systems and if I can't recover the data, it's going to be a monumental task and probably only get ~70% of the data back.

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 to RN426 Migration due to Lightning

@Racer454X wrote:

My question is; Can I move the (4) 8TB disks from the RN104 to the RN426 and have any chance of retaining the data?

Yes, you can.  The system will convert the OS from the arm version (used by the RN104) to x86 (used by the RN426).

It won't convert apps, so you would need to deal with them (uninstall, reinstall).

I suggest first using a scratch disk (by itself), and installing 6.10.4 firmware on the RN426.  Then power it down, and migrate the disks (preserving the slot order).

Of course we are hoping that the power surge didn't damage the disks too.

Message 2 of 3
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: RN104 to RN426 Migration due to Lightning

You can give that a try. First I would update the 426 to at least as new firmware as what you were running on the 104 (if the 426 doesn't have a disk in it put in a scratch disk, must not be from your array) and verify it comes back up fine on the new firmware after the reboot. If in doubt put the latest firmware on. Then power down, remove the disks from the 426 and then move the disks across from the 104 keeping the disk order the same.

The 104 is ARM and the 426 is x86_64 so it can't use the firmware on the disks to correct a firmware mismatch, so it will use whatever firmware is in the flash of the 426. Upgrading the firmware is safer than downgrading.

Hopefully the disks in the 104 are O.K. Your apps would need to be reinstalled but other than that it should hopefully be fine if the disks were not damaged by the lightning.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements